Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 2:23am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « High Cholesterol »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   High Cholesterol
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: High Cholesterol  (Read 1255 times)
mellie
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

High Cholesterol
« on: Jul 28th, 2004, 5:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I went back to the doc the other day and they did blood work--just wondering if anyone else has high cholesterol and could it be linked to CH or if the meds could cause that?  Just wondering......
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: High Cholesterol
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28th, 2004, 7:03pm »

I don't think so.  I have extremely low cholesterol... often times it gets flagged as being low on my blood paperwork.  I'm actually embarassed to say how low it is sometimes.   Embarassed

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
floridian

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 28th, 2004, 10:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My good cholesterol is low. My bad cholesterol is ok. My triglycerides were high, but I changed my diet and they came back in line.  

Not much research on HDL/LDL and clusters.  Only one article I am aware of (below) and it found normal cholesterol (in cell membranes, not blood) but unusually high phosphatidylcholine.  So yes, something is messed up in the typical clusterhead with respect to the lipid goop, but AFAIK, it isnt plain old elevated cholesterol.  On the other hand, they might someday find that some of us do have a metabolic problem that contributes to both cholesterol and clusters.  

Quote:
Cephalalgia. 1986 Sep;6(3):147-53.  

Abnormal membrane composition and membrane-dependent transduction mechanisms in cluster headache.

de Belleroche J, Kilfeather S, Das I, Rose FC.

Previous studies have indicated that membrane structure and function may be abnormal in cluster headache. This has been further investigated by analysis of membrane phosphatidylcholine, total phospholipids, and cholesterol in erythrocytes and by assay of receptor-mediated transduction. The stimulation of lymphocyte adenylate cyclase with isoprenaline and prostacyclin was used as the test system. A significant increase in the ratio of membrane phosphatidylcholine to cholesterol without change in cholesterol was found in cluster headache patients as compared with control subjects. This indicated a reduced turnover of phosphatidylcholine, since erythrocyte choline is significantly reduced in this condition. Abnormal membrane function was also indicated from the significant depression of high-affinity prostaglandin receptor stimulation of lymphocyte adenylate cyclase and the similar trend in the beta-adrenoceptor response. Since no change in agonist affinity and beta-adrenoceptor density occurred, this depression indicates a generalized defect in coupling of receptors to adenylate cyclase. It is hypothesized that the impaired function that would result might contribute to the aetiology of cluster headache.

Are you familiar with policosanol?  While diet should be the first line against cholesterol for most people, policosanol is as effective as the statins, but has fewer side effects.
IP Logged
mellie
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Jul 29th, 2004, 2:59pm »

Thanks ya'll Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss