Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 2:24am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Just need an opinion »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Just need an opinion
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Just need an opinion  (Read 453 times)
Shannon
New Board Newbie
USA 

Mrs_Jackson13  
Email

Just need an opinion
« on: Jul 26th, 2004, 2:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I always say this but God am I greatful for this site and all of you. I have gotten alot of advice and tried some new med's and started verapamil as a preventative. Well the verapamil is only 120mg once a day. Within a week of taking it my cycle ended. Not sure if it was just over because it had been about a month and a half and that's how long mine last or if the med was strong enough and helped. Alot of people have said that it may not of been strong enough so just curious on what you may think. Also for the lucky ones that have a remission for a year or more do you still take preventatives during the time that you know you aren't going to be in cycle or do you wait until they start again?
Shannon
IP Logged
don

Email

Re: Just need an opinion
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26th, 2004, 2:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

It has been suggested that you continue the preventatives for 2-3 weeks after you are reasonably sure your cycles has ended.

I doubt the verapamil stopped your cycle. Fot two reasons:

1. 120 mg/day is very low dose
2. It takes acouple of weeks for verapamil to reach a  theraputic level to begin with.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2004, 2:56pm by don » IP Logged
klp
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

sigpig  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 26th, 2004, 3:01pm »

I also take the verapamil 2-3 weeks after my cycle ends. My remission is usually 10-11 months so as soon as i got my 2nd shadow this time i started the verapamil again and am happy to say I haven't had a full blown attack or anythin greater than a kip2 since starting it. I also did the prednisone taper 80mg-0 and take 9mg of melatonin. my verapamil dosage is higher though. I start with 120mg twice a day for 3 days then 120mg three times a day for 3 days then 240 mg twice a day till the cycle ends. I taper off the same way. also the verapamil i use is SR.(sustained release). hope this helps krista
IP Logged
Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Please SPAY and NEUTER all dogs, cats and idiots!

debbie4278  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 26th, 2004, 7:35pm »

I take a low dose of Procardia XL  (like Verapamil)
This time I started it right away when I decided it was really a cycle that had come.  Also within a week, I have been very happy no bad hits, and minor shadows.  

I take mine for 2-3 weeks too, when I haven't felt any shadows for awhile, then I taper off.  I don't take it when out of cycle.

in cycle and happy for now....................Little Deb
IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
thomas

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 8:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I do not take meds out of cycle, that would not be a smart thing.
IP Logged
mustang
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

mustang  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 9:10am »

I am chronic and take 640mg of Verapamil dailey.
When I try to taper down I start the shadows.
Have been on this does for 9 months and been  
pf for 6 months for the most part.

Smiley    Smiley    Mustang    Smiley     Smiley
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 1:09pm »

The only advantage to taking preventative meds out of cycle is to handle the upcoming cycle faster.  If you have no idea when your next cycle is, then...

Even if you "think" you know when your next cycle will be, odds are you will be wrong...

Thomas gave good advice.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 8:14pm »

Hi Shannon,

Glad the beast is leaving you alone for awhile.  

Unless you have other problems like hypertension that might require Verapamil, it's probably best to wean off it between cycles.  

When my last cycle ended, I continued to take 120mg/day.  It sure didn't prevent the next cycle from coming.  In fact, when the next cycle hit, my doc had to quickly ramp up the dose to 480mg/day before I started seeing improvement.

This time he's weaning me off totally (my cycles are several years apart).  Once I was sure it was over (about 10 weeks for me), he had me decrease my dose by 120mg every two weeks.  So far, I'm down to 240mg/day and counting - no twinges or shadows so far.  Hope this helps.  

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 29th, 2004, 2:42pm »

I had the same problem with verapamil.  I took 480mg daily and it didn't prevent my current episode.  I would have to agree that it's best to ween of the meds out of cycle to reduce the chance of them not being effective for the next one.

Sucks that there is always a next one...

John
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss