Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 2:25am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Oxygen Therapy? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Oxygen Therapy?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Oxygen Therapy?  (Read 414 times)
TBO2
New Board Newbie
USA 

PlayAJoker@yahoo.com  
Email

Oxygen Therapy?
« on: Jul 20th, 2004, 3:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm an old school migraineur whose headaches turned from migraine to chronic cluster approximately 9 years ago.  
    While I am aware of the different effectivenesses (efficacies?) of various drugs for the two different disorders, I have tried almost all (both as needed and prophylactally.) The ONLY effective medication for me has been Imitrex injections.
   One treatment I have not tried = oxygen. I have read that inhalation of pure oxygen at a rate near 15mL/min has been remarkably effective for many clusterheads if taken early in an attack.

Has anyone tried this, and if so, what were YOUR results? All replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
            Ted
IP Logged
Filbert
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

"Gravy-pure gravy and don't forget it."

Re: Oxygen Therapy?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20th, 2004, 4:50am »

Hi Ted
    I'm fairly certain that the most common figure quoted for the success rate of oxygen therapy is about 80% of sufferers. My personal view is that some of 20% of failures could be due to incorrect flow rates or using the wrong mask. Though saying that sadly some people have followed everything correctly and have obtained no relief. Still worth a go IMHO!

All the best Filbert
IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20th, 2004, 8:15am »

o2 is the ticket for most.

I am one of the 20% it did not work on.  Tried the correct mask with 15lpm, and ended up taking it straight from the o2 hose.  

It did hold the line on the CH... the current CH did not fully develop until I stopped the O2.  Thus it was great if I was using a slow-acting abortive (ie Imitrex Tablets)... though I do not use slow-acting abortives anymore!  :\

Next episode I will certainly give o2 another  shot.

Lob
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
Axel
New Board Newbie
Canada 

after 15 years  finally found a name for the beast

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20th, 2004, 9:03am »

Well for me it really works !! In fact it works just as fast as imiject,whichin my case gives me a stiff neck ,when in full cycle and use it too often... so the o2 was a revelation, I will never part from my tank ever agaig. I'ts my new best friend....I had been getting CH 15yrs ,and started all of this 2mth ago.. so far so good! I really think it's worth the try...       ...Axel.
IP Logged

.......ciao... AXEL.......
1MajorPain
New Board Junior
USA 

Pain is not my friend!

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20th, 2004, 12:11pm »

Read up on O2 on the left of the page. (oxygen info)
<--------------- it's worked great for many.

Major
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20th, 2004, 5:30pm »

on Jul 20th, 2004, 4:50am, Filbert wrote:
Hi Ted
         I'm fairly certain that the most common figure quoted for the success rate of oxygen therapy is about 80% of sufferers. My personal view is that some of 20% of failures could be due to incorrect flow rates or using the wrong mask. Though saying that sadly some people have followed everything correctly and have obtained no relief. Still worth a go IMHO!

All the best Filbert

I agree... Except I don't even use a mask. The key is getting enough of it fast enough. And that is ALOT to be effective, at least for me.

It's gaseous gold.
IP Logged

Chris
FZfan
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Not Insane

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20th, 2004, 8:11pm »

Yep, if you haven't tried it you gotta get it! I'm a big fan of the gas. I suffered with these things for nine years before I tried the o2. First two cycles I used it on it was barely effective because I was prescribed a low flow regulator and a regular mask. When I came to this site last cycle and got educated on the proper application of o2 I immediately went to the local med shop and procured the proper regulator and mask.

I can't describe properly in words the feeling of that first attack melting away when I tried it with the right equipment the first time. It's..  it's... I don't know, almost orgasmic.

I did get some attacks that o2 didn't touch, but I've successfully aborted an average of 8 out of 10 attacks with it, which is an acceptable success rate for me.

Next cycle I intend to try Superpains method to see if I can make it work even better.

Get some o2 now!!
IP Logged

There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it. - FZ
johnd7
New Board Newbie

« Reply #7 on: Jul 22nd, 2004, 7:15pm »

[quote author=FZfan link=board=chspecific;num=1090307908;start=0#6 date=07/20/04 at 20:11:27]. When I came to this site last cycle and got educated on the proper application of o2 I immediately went to the local med shop and procured the proper regulator and mask.
quote]

I have always had I would say probably 90% success rate with regular mask at 7lpm for 15 minutes.  But as we all know it only takes one HA to make you go crazy so this time I asked my Doc for a rebreather prescribed when he prescribed the 02.  The company forgot to deliver so I have been making due with the regular mask and it has worked accept a couple times.  I was just told by the O2 company that those can only be used with high flow tanks like 12-15 lpm which I guess has to be a big H tank with a higher regulator.  Can I just buy a different regulator and mask at a supply store and put that on the smaller tanks?
IP Logged

Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be.
-Thomas a Kempis
FZfan
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Not Insane

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 23rd, 2004, 1:53pm »

I bought a regulator that goes up to 15 for $100 at a med supply shop. the regulator I bought fits on a standard "E" tank.

I also bought a non-rebreather mask for 5 bucks.

I had spotty success at 8 lpm. When I got the right regulator and bumped up to 15 everything changed for the better. Through experimentation I found that a flow rate of 10 lpm worked for me as well as 15.

But I also found that if I am really stressed and breathing hard before I get to the o2, I need to up the pressure to 15, if I am calm and collected when I get to the o2, 10 lpm is sufficient.

The key to finding the right lpm is the bag on the rebreather mask. Have someone watch you when using it to determine if you are inhaling (deflating) the bag faster than it refills (or do this in front of a mirror). With the proper lpm setting, your strongest inhales should not deflate the bag.

One other tip I got from a respiration therapist is - when you first turn on the tank to begin treatment, hold your thumb or fingers over the inlet valve inside the mask. This will cause the bag to inflate completely before you start your treatment.
IP Logged

There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it. - FZ
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: Jul 23rd, 2004, 7:31pm »

I am taking my oxygen straight out of the hose.  I am using a common welding regulator and a shop  air nozzle.  I am not sure how many ???per minute I inhale, (sometimes alot, sometimes a little) but it does bring me out of the headaches.  When I am in moderate to severe pain, I will let the pressure from the tank inflate my lungs, then lower the pressure as the headache begins to go away.  If I catch the headache when it first begins, the oxygen works best.  I can abort the headache before it gets bad.  If the headache is already painfull, it takes longer to abort.  I estimate 5-30 minutes of deep breathing.  My only complaint (other than the headache) is the oxygen will dry out my air passages.   Currently, I am using alot of oxygen from the local welding supply.  Cost about $10.00 for a refil that will last a couple of weeks with 2-4episodes every day.
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #10 on: Jul 23rd, 2004, 7:48pm »

on Jul 23rd, 2004, 7:31pm, Biker wrote:
I am taking my oxygen straight out of the hose.  I am using a common welding regulator and a shop  air nozzle.  I am not sure how many ???per minute I inhale, (sometimes alot, sometimes a little) but it does bring me out of the headaches.  When I am in moderate to severe pain, I will let the pressure from the tank inflate my lungs, then lower the pressure as the headache begins to go away.  If I catch the headache when it first begins, the oxygen works best.  I can abort the headache before it gets bad.  If the headache is already painfull, it takes longer to abort.  I estimate 5-30 minutes of deep breathing.  My only complaint (other than the headache) is the oxygen will dry out my air passages.   Currently, I am using alot of oxygen from the local welding supply.  Cost about $10.00 for a refil that will last a couple of weeks with 2-4episodes every day.  

By using a 1/2" acrylic tube it offers less resistance, so I can take big hits by barely turning the regulator, like 1/2 - 1 turn for a full hit, then twist it back off. Thus no wastage of the gas. That size tube also fits nicely onto the port of a water bong eliminating the dry throat. Wink
Just an idea... Works for me.
IP Logged

Chris
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:45pm »

Thats a great idea.  I have been wondering how I could add moisture to the gas.   That set up would come in handy during the middle of the night.  Would not have to get out of bed for a drink of water.  I would have to place my valve between the tank and the bong, then that would cause me to have to reach around.  Now, If I can figure out a way to have a pressurized bong, so I can inhale on demand with a press on the valve..........
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #12 on: Jul 24th, 2004, 5:40am »

on Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:45pm, Biker wrote:
Thats a great idea.  I have been wondering how I could add moisture to the gas.   That set up would come in handy during the middle of the night.  Would not have to get out of bed for a drink of water.  I would have to place my valve between the tank and the bong, then that would cause me to have to reach around.  Now, If I can figure out a way to have a pressurized bong, so I can inhale on demand with a press on the valve..........

That's an ingenious idea!
If you could find, or make a tunable valve with a trigger  that would release in a controlled  manner, rather than one burst, so that your able to take huge hits comfortably and repeat!? Without wasting any gas!?

I'll buy one!!!
IP Logged

Chris
matthe
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 5:15pm »

Get the Oxygen.  I have had approximately 15 cycles over the last 20 years.  I only tried the oxygen the last cycle and it worked very well, especially the ones that come at night.  The other obvious benefit is you don't feel like s*** all the time from being drugged up.

Matt
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss