Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 28th, 2024, 9:25pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « hey episodics, what is the best treatment? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   hey episodics, what is the best treatment?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: hey episodics, what is the best treatment?  (Read 885 times)
maria9
New Board Veteran

hey episodics, what is the best treatment?
« on: Jul 19th, 2004, 10:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey, just curious about you episodics, have you ever found the right balance of pharmaceuticals, such that you did not ever have a cluster headache within your cycle?  Seems to me and I could be wrong that when we go into cycle we do anything we can to avoid the pain so we add one medication on top of another, then we suffer the side effects of the meds as well as continuing to have these horrible cluster headaches.  Other than doing the shrooms, is there any one out there that has been able to, with the conventional medicines, completely avoid the cluster headaches once in a cycle? If so what drugs  or combination did you use?

Marsha   Grin

Marsha   Grin
IP Logged

"All you have to do is the best you can. A high wave comes, a crashing wave comes, a gentle swell follows. Whatever comes, stay in your boat. And enjoy the ride. And row." Peggy Noonan
thomas

Email

Re: hey episodics, what is the best treatment?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20th, 2004, 8:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This is what works best FOR ME.  I have NEVER found ANYTHING to prevent 100% of my ch's in cycle, but this has been the most effective treatment FOR ME to date.

My CH treatment

20min HOT steamy shower 1 hour before bed
3 mg of melatonin and 2 mg of time-release melatonin afterwards
Go to bed
Wake up in the morning, take 250 mg of magnesium and 20 mg of fluoxetine (prozac)
Abort with zomig as needed.  
IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20th, 2004, 8:10am »

Topamax alone worked surprisingly well for me with my last episode.  100-125mg at bedtime.  
Topa had me completely PF within 4-5 days of starting it.

With my prior episode Topa worked well, but did not keep me 100% PF... still needed 1-2 Imitrex injections per week.

Rok
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
don

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20th, 2004, 8:20am »

verapamil 480 mg/day
prednisone taper
IP Logged
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20th, 2004, 9:22am »

The only thing that I totally avoided a cycle with are mushrooms.  Other things that helped in the past are:
verapamil; 5-HTP @150 per day; melatonin @9, B-Complex 50s X 3; green or black tea X 3-5 a day. Abort with imitrex injections/O2.

I hope you find your magic bullet.

John
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20th, 2004, 10:38am »

Only thing that stops my attacks dead in their tracks is prednisone.  Of course that is only temporary.

I'm best with cafergot and O2.  I still get hit but they are only 5-10 minutes Kip 3's.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
JJA
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20th, 2004, 1:09pm »

If you count melatonin(9mg), I had two consecutive cycles without a full blown attack.  I started when I felt shadows coming on.  I still had plenty of shadows, so I knew I was in cycle, but nothing bad enough to make my eye water.  It didn't work for my last cycle, however.
IP Logged

Is it illegal because it's dangerous or is it dangerous because it's illegal? Our drug laws are ruining lives.
FZfan
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Not Insane

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 20th, 2004, 7:53pm »

Went through my last cycle with nothing but oxygen. It didn't abort every h/a, but it knocked down enough of them to make it worthwhile not to take any meds. Cycle lasted about 5 weeks with 2-3 attacks/day, which is normal for me. Went through a shitload of 02!

I felt better through that cycle than any cycle I ever had before. As long as my cycles don't get longer and the o2 keeps working, I don't intend to ever take any meds again, with the exception of zomig zmt. After reading up on it I do intend to try that when the next cycle hits.  

Now shrooms, on the other hand... Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2004, 7:56pm by FZfan » IP Logged

There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it. - FZ
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 20th, 2004, 8:24pm »

My episodes are 3-4 years apart, so I haven't yet found anything to totally prevent a cycle.  Once I have that first HA, though, I call the doc and get started on Verapamil and Prednisone.  Imitrex to abort.  

I've read elsewhere here (and will be watching for it in a couple years) that many people notice changes in their sleep patterns just before a cycle starts.  

I would guess that if you could predict that a cycle was coming on and started your "cocktail" right away, you might be able to abort the cycle before it really got started.

At any rate ... I just keep hoping they'll find a true cure before my next cycle starts.

Hugs,

Kris

IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 20th, 2004, 8:31pm »

Quote:
have you ever found the right balance of pharmaceuticals, such that you did not ever have a cluster headache within your cycle?.... Other than doing the shrooms, is there any one out there that has been able to, with the conventional medicines, completely avoid the cluster headaches once in a cycle?

Nope.

Not me, not even with shrooms.  I haven't found anything that could do that when I was episodic.  Such a find would truly be a treasure.  Verapamil comes closest.  And now I'm chronic  Angry... so they say.... (does that mean I'm disqualified?   Cheesy)

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
floridian

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 21st, 2004, 8:08am »

I have been able to get through 1 year (and am part way through a second) with no headaches but with definite associated symptoms (disturbed sleep, mania, tingling in feet, etc).  Melatonin at night a half hour before bed.  Magnesium twice a day (total of 500 mg/124% of DV).  5-htp in the day time.  Ginger and turmeric. I stop drinking alcohol when the temperature here gets over 85 F.  I turn down the air conditioning and limit exposure to heat - yard work is done only early morning or late evening when its cool.  If it rains, my grass gets tall.
IP Logged
Jimmy_B

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 21st, 2004, 11:09am »

Obviously most people will probably tell you...

1) O2
2) Imitrex
3) Verapamil

With possibly a prednisone dose pack at the start of cycle.

But since I can't take Imitrex & O2 does not help...I find this cocktail really helps, when in cycle.

I take a Medrol Dose pack at the beginning of the Clusters. Start on verapamil & 1 or 2 OxyIR 1/2 to 1 hour before each attack (The ones that come at the same time, every day.) Begin to taper OxyIR when cycle seems to be ending.

I've also noticed since taking the imitrex out, my cycles are shorter & remissions are longer. Could be a coincidence. But why change what's working.

Jimmy
IP Logged
bluesunshine
New Board Junior
Canada 

« Reply #12 on: Jul 21st, 2004, 10:17pm »

Never could avoided it completely

-Depakote (epival) made it worst
-verapamil, no significative relief for me + sides effects=not worth it
-this year (now in cycle again) only O2, zomig and the bazooka  immitrex injectable (for the middle of the night hits)

PLUS melatonin for the first cycle TADAM!! and guess what, didn't use the bazooka yet.

blue
IP Logged
maria9
New Board Veteran

« Reply #13 on: Jul 21st, 2004, 10:31pm »

Hey all thanks for your replies,
Some of you may remember my first post saying that golf had cured my clusters. After taking up golf I had a 5 year remission.  Most of you did not respond some did.  When I went on to say that a doc that I happened to meet at a Saturday clinic at my HMO, when I told him I could not take this anymore (CH), he suggested in the future to start on Prozac once I felt the premonitory symptoms.  In my case the premonitory symptoms included a low grade headache upon waking up followed by a shadow the next day.  Sometimes, it seems if I started taking Prozac, I was home free no headaches, but when these last cycles came on no warning or nothing.  As to not taking the Imitrex, I would have to say live without it although i know it is tough once you have gotten that instant relief.

Marsha who has never had an imitrex injection, only cafergot
IP Logged

"All you have to do is the best you can. A high wave comes, a crashing wave comes, a gentle swell follows. Whatever comes, stay in your boat. And enjoy the ride. And row." Peggy Noonan
buckeyescooter
New Board Veteran
USA 

Screw Fear!

« Reply #14 on: Jul 22nd, 2004, 2:27pm »

I've been on Prozac for 12 years. 20 mgs per day for the last 10 yrs. and 40 for the last two. Don't really know if it helps my clusters....I started it for depression. But now that I think about it, that was around the time I went from chronic to episodic. I can't honestly be sure if those two are related.
     The other meds I take have already been mentioned.
Verapamil up to 600 mgs per day.
Prednisone taper
02....the best abortive for me
Zomig nasal spray...another effective abortive
Topamax....this worked very well for me. The side effects are a bitch, but like Rock Lobster, this sucker really knocked my ha's out.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2004, 2:28pm by buckeyescooter » IP Logged

Clusterheads are a rare breed.
K.
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Jul 22nd, 2004, 3:45pm »

Verapamil 480 mg/day
O2!! to abort
trex injections if needed

K.
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #16 on: Jul 22nd, 2004, 6:50pm »

I think Thomas says prozac helps him too...

Me...
Nothing for 18 yrs, till I found this site and got referred to a good doc.
this last time  
Prednisone taper -80mg per daydown to 20mg, over 14 days.
240mg ramped up to 480 mg of verapamil per day
imitrex injections to abort
O2 to abort.

Don't be scared of the needle!
Kill a few HA's like that and your view of needles and taking a shot will do a 180!
IP Logged

Chris
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jul 22nd, 2004, 7:06pm »

I wish I could help Maria, but I get a cycle EVERY year and have never found a prevent yet to stop a CH. For me it's abort abort abort. Either 02 or Trex.
IP Logged
maria9
New Board Veteran

« Reply #18 on: Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:27pm »

Hey thanks all for your replies.  The reason why I asked the original question, does anything work to completely take the CH away? was because I have dealt with this for so many years, while the pain is so severe that you want to throw anything at it that might relieve it, at the same time you are dealing with the CH conundrum, do you just face the pain and get over it or take the meds and possibly have to deal with the beast for even a longer period of time?  Or you can try the alternative :
clusterbusters.com.  

Wishing you all well,

Marsha
IP Logged

pam s
New Board Veteran
USA 

I feel ... special!

« Reply #19 on: Jul 24th, 2004, 12:56am »

on Jul 19th, 2004, 10:43pm, maria9 wrote:
 Other than doing the shrooms, is there any one out there that has been able to, with the conventional medicines, completely avoid the cluster headaches once in a cycle? If so what drugs  or combination did you use?

For the first time this cycle, I did. But the cycle was probably two weeks longer than usual. Basically, I used split Imitrex injections to abort anything I could not abort any other way. I know they increased the frequency of the CHs, too.  

Also, 400 mg topomax seemed to blunt the CHs a bit, but did not make them less frequent. I used melatonin, 9 mg. Near the end of the cycle I finally got O2 (but at only 5 liters) and when I had lingering shadows, took mushrooms.
IP Logged

Pam

Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #20 on: Jul 26th, 2004, 10:02am »

Imigran inj is the only way for me to stop a CH in it's tracks. I have tried most of the preventatives that are recommended here over the many years to no avail.

I have had good success in my last 2 episodes of "breaking the CH cycle" by undertaking a strict detox diet which ended the CH cycle within about 5 days of starting the diet each time.

It mainly involves drinking only lots of plain water and eating only fresh fruit and veg for at least 5-7 days. It is a tough diet to stick to but the relief was well worth the effort

Might be worth a try?

John

IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

« Reply #21 on: Aug 7th, 2004, 8:12pm »

Just bumpin it back up for reference
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

« Reply #22 on: Aug 7th, 2004, 8:16pm »

this is an issue that I'm still struggling with.  The imitrex has seemed to make this cycle exceptionally long (almost 12 weeks).
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
don

Email

« Reply #23 on: Aug 7th, 2004, 8:47pm »

Quote:
I think Thomas says prozac helps him too...

Nooooo. It was everyone else who said prozac helps THEM when Thomas takes them.  Cool
IP Logged
ex_pat_asia
New Board Veteran
Malaysia 

"Sometimes the wolves lie down and the Moon howls

Email

« Reply #24 on: Aug 8th, 2004, 12:20am »

Jimmy nearly dialed in for me the cocktail working best at this juncture with my slight alteration below:

on Jul 21st, 2004, 11:09am, Jimmy_B wrote:
Obviously most people will probably tell you...

1) O2 (abort)
2) Imitrex (abort)
3) Verapamil (prophylactic)

With possibly a prednisone taper (betamethasone for me)

I also have added magnesium supplements...because that stuff is good for a lot of things anyway.  800 MG per day.

Jimmy, your Oxygen idea (as a preventative before a regular event) is a splendid one that I want to try. I like the idea of throwing the demon off his cadence. I too have attacks that are alarm clock disciplined. My 2 am and 2 pm are uncanny. My episodes work up to 7 - 8 attacks per 24 hrs. The 2&2s are the first to arrive usually and just keep on keepin on as other breakouts occur.  Maybe we have Rolex Cluster???  
Thanks for the idea
Cheers and PFDAN

"I want to tell you a terrific story about oral contraception. I asked this girl to sleep with me and she said 'No'."   - Woody Allen
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2004, 12:26am by ex_pat_asia » IP Logged

ex_pat_asia
"Work like you don't need the money,
dance like no one is watching,
love like you'll never get hurt" - Anon.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss