Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 6:58pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Caffeine and Verapamil »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Caffeine and Verapamil
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Caffeine and Verapamil  (Read 435 times)
johnd7
New Board Newbie

Caffeine and Verapamil
« on: Jul 18th, 2004, 9:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

First off let me say hi again.  I have not been around here for many years.  
I recently started the strangest cycle I have ever had.  Fist couple days were at same time and now for last week or so there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the time, length or strength of the HA.  I can't decide if I should quit caffeine (coffee and soda) or drink more because for me and others sometimes it seems to help a HA.  
My question is regarding Verapamil which I have never taken but am thinking of asking my Dr. for.  I started Prednisone yesterday and everything was great, slept through night no HA but then today had a 3 hour, number 10 on the kip scale.  In the past Prednisone had worked immediately and squashed the cycles.  
Anyhow back to the Verapamil, I am confused how it works on clusters because the information I read said that it "Widens" the blood vessels whereas Caffeine constricts them.  Can anyone explain this more?  Any side effects with Verapamil?...doesnt appear to be any I read about.  How long should I take Verapamil?  Thanks for any info.
IP Logged

Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be.
-Thomas a Kempis
don

Email

Re: Caffeine and Verapamil
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18th, 2004, 9:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Slight constipation with the verapamil and you should continue taking it for 2-3 weeks after you think your cycle has ended.\

Quote from MedLine Plus:

Quote:
It relaxes your blood vessels

From informed.com

Quote:
Verapamil: Adverse Reactions  

About 30% of the subjects treated with verapamil experience constipation in different degrees of severity. The remaining side-effects caused by oral therapy (nausea, hypotensive symptoms, ankle edema, atrioventricular block) are much less common (2 to 5% of the treated individuals). Heart failure rarely develops; even less frequent are gynecomastia, allergic hepatitis, skin rashes. - The intravenous administration, on the other hand, is more hazardous: different arrhythmias and blockades can occur.  

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2004, 10:01pm by don » IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18th, 2004, 10:45pm »

The usual drill is to start Verap. at the same time you are on the Pred. Clusters often return as soon as the Pred is stopped whereas Verap gives long term effects to prevent/reduce cluster--but it takes a number of days to become effective, hence why start it now even as the Pred is blocking the attacks.

Why does it work? Not sure this is well understood. For now, accept that this has become drug of choice for prevention.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Ronny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Belgium 

Yabba Dabba Doo

maximus_imperius  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19th, 2004, 12:23am »

Hi,
About the caffeine:  

I've read here, somewhere on this board, that some CH-sufferers can benefit from caffeine.

Ronny.
IP Logged

Count your rainbows, not your thunderstorms.
johnd7
New Board Newbie

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19th, 2004, 12:28am »

on Jul 19th, 2004, 12:23am, Ronny wrote:
Hi,
About the caffeine:  

I've read here, somewhere on this board, that some CH-sufferers can benefit from caffeine.

Ronny.

Yeah I know, sometimes I have in the past.  I am curious though why Caffeine and other caffeine like drugs which constrict the blood vessels and Verapmil which relaxes or widens the vessels both appear to work for people.  Not that anything with Clusters makes sense but this really has me puzzled.
IP Logged

Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be.
-Thomas a Kempis
Ueli

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 19th, 2004, 9:41am »

on Jul 19th, 2004, 12:28am, johnd7 wrote:

.... and Verapmil which relaxes or widens the vessels ....

johnd7, please stop muddling the issue. Relax and widen are not interchangeable synomyms!

Verapamil makes the smooth muscles around the vessels to respond slower and less intense to nerve signals.

This is helpful for clusterheads since it dampens (or even suppresses) the positive feedback loop that is responsible for the rapid rise of a cluster attack.

If, and only if, the arteries are normally to tight, causing high blood pressure, the relaxing from Verapamil results in a widening (and consequently in a lower BP).

PFNADs
Ueli                 smokin

IP Logged
Shannon
New Board Newbie
USA 

Mrs_Jackson13  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 19th, 2004, 11:26am »

I just started taking verapamil 120mg about a week ago. I think I am just now starting to feel the med. working. I'm not sure if it's just my cycle ending or it's the med but I've gone from 5 a day that last 1-2 hours to only 1 or 2.
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 19th, 2004, 4:36pm »

on Jul 19th, 2004, 11:26am, ShannonJ wrote:
I just started taking verapamil 120mg about a week ago. I think I am just now starting to feel the med. working. I'm not sure if it's just my cycle ending or it's the med but I've gone from 5 a day that last 1-2 hours to only 1 or 2.

I would be very surprised if 1 week of verap @ 120mg would yield any noticable result.  However, it's great that your attacks are less frequent!

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
johnd7
New Board Newbie

« Reply #8 on: Jul 19th, 2004, 6:08pm »

on Jul 19th, 2004, 9:41am, Ueli wrote:

johnd7, please stop muddling the issue. Relax and widen are not interchangeable synomyms!

Verapamil makes the smooth muscles around the vessels to respond slower and less intense to nerve signals.

This is helpful for clusterheads since it dampens (or even suppresses) the positive feedback loop that is responsible for the rapid rise of a cluster attack.

If, and only if, the arteries are normally to tight, causing high blood pressure, the relaxing from Verapamil results in a widening (and consequently in a lower BP).

PFNADs
Ueli                 smokin

Sorry about that.  I was not meaning to muddle the issue.  I am not a Dr. so forgive me.  I have read on sites about Verapamil and some used the words Widen and Relax interchangeably.  Heres what another site says, "It relaxes your blood vessels so your heart does not have to pump as hard."  Regardless of the semantics that still seems the opposite of what caffeine does.  I was just curious because they seem like two opposite paths to take.  
IP Logged

-Thomas a Kempis
John_D

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 19th, 2004, 6:40pm »

with a name like that good things are bound to happen to you brother, PFD to ya  Grin

sorry for the OT post, I could not resist, please continue  Smiley
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 19th, 2004, 8:50pm »

Hi and Welcome,

I recommend you read the link to the left marked "medical info."  It gives a (fairly) simple explanation of the way calcium channel blockers work and why they aid in relief of CH.

As for me, I can only swear by them (Verapamil rules!).  However, 120mg isn't very much.  I'm episodic and only find relief with 480mg/day.  When my cycle is well (at least 2 weeks) over, my doc starts to wean me down and off until the next time around.

Aside from constipation (which I'm sure you know how to deal with) Verapamil has few side effects.  Yes - in some people it can cause lower blood pressure.  This is only a concern if you have a low blood pressure problem to begin with.  In my case, I was borderline hypertensive - it only helped!

Don't be afraid - seek the treatment best for you!

Hugs,

Kris
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2004, 8:51pm by Kris_in_SJ » IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 23rd, 2004, 5:41pm »

Ueli is 100% correct.  The mechanism seems to be the muscles around the blood vessels going into spasms.  Though I haven't figured out how alcohol fits into that picture since alcohol is a vascular dialator.  

It usually takes 10 days for my verap to finally kick in.  Sometimes Pred works, sometimes not.
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
Ernie_Moss
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 26th, 2004, 6:05pm »

I am on verapamil, lithium and topomax.  The verapamil does have side effects, as does most medications.  The constipation disipates after you system adjusts.  Weight gain is another and decreased libido is another.  When coupled with lithium the weight gain and libido problem is exacerbated, however, if it works so be it.  I honestly don't know.  I have gone as long as 5 months with a CH but now have having 2 a day and still am on the medication.  The only relief once an attach occurs is O2 and Imitrex.  Good Luck
IP Logged

Ernie Moss
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss