Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 1:51am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Alcohol »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Alcohol
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Alcohol  (Read 875 times)
Ronny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Belgium 

Yabba Dabba Doo

maximus_imperius  
Email

Alcohol
« on: Jul 10th, 2004, 4:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Why is alcohol such a sure trigger? What does it do to provoke an attack? I used to love a glass of wine in the evening, but not anymore (hehe). Tongue
IP Logged

Count your rainbows, not your thunderstorms.
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Alcohol
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10th, 2004, 5:06pm »

I can drink alcohol, but not when I'm in cycle.

When I'm not in cycle, I can drink whatever I want, but I'm not one to drink alot anyway.  

I posted on another thread that I don't know what triggers my CH.  Actually what I meant was I don't know what triggers my cycles. Alchohol and smoke are definite triggers for me when I'm in cycle.  Don't know why though.

purpleydog

IP Logged

Ronny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Belgium 

Yabba Dabba Doo

maximus_imperius  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 10th, 2004, 7:10pm »

yes, whenever i'm not in a cycle, i could also drink whatever i want, but this cycle is lasting forever. I just wondered what the alcohol does to provoke an attack.
IP Logged

Count your rainbows, not your thunderstorms.
bluesunshine
New Board Junior
Canada 

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10th, 2004, 8:13pm »

When in cycle, I can't just have a beer or two because chances are it will trigger a CH.  When I start drinking, I have to get real drunk (like yesterday night)  to avoid the CH.  

IP Logged
jonny

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 10th, 2004, 8:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Like different medications dont work for everyone.....

Not one trigger. triggers all.

Ive been chronic close to 30 years and alcohol has never triggered me, actually, I have no triggers what so ever.

Fucken beast plays many games with all of us at his own pace.

.................................................................jonny

IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 10th, 2004, 8:38pm »

on Jul 10th, 2004, 8:22pm, jonny wrote:

Fucken beast plays many games with all of us at his own pace.

.................................................................jonny

Amen brother!
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Re: AlcoholA
« Reply #6 on: Jul 10th, 2004, 8:45pm »

Alcohol seems to be a trigger for almost all episodics.  I actually think I'm pretty rare, because it isn't for me - THANK YOU!  

Sorry to say, you're probably going to have to be dry until your episode is over.  On the bright side, maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones who can avoid a HA by getting totally blotto!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 10th, 2004, 10:33pm »

on Jul 10th, 2004, 7:10pm, Ronny wrote:
yes, whenever i'm not in a cycle, i could also drink whatever i want, but this cycle is lasting forever. I just wondered what the alcohol does to provoke an attack.

Alkehaul is a major vasodilator, this seems to be a factor for episodics but not so much with chronics, for some unknown reason. Me be chronic depending on the definition you choose. Before I went chronic it was a no shit trigger every time.  

Lee
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2004, 10:44pm by forgetful » IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 11th, 2004, 11:51am »

Vasodialation is the response to alcohol. What property of alcohol is the culprit? Dont know, but it is vasodialation that is causing the CH.
IP Logged
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11th, 2004, 5:05pm »

Sometimes, I can have some light beer, and on occasion, even some clear liquer, or white wine, with out getting the headaches started.  I have learned that any regular beer, red wine, or brown liquer, will bring on a headache even when I have not had any for awhile.  Either way, I fear that alochol can, (and often will) bring on a series of headaches.  I found I can drink past the part that starts the headaches, but I feel bad the next day, and the headaches start as the alochol wears off.  I cannot say for sure what triggered a real head banger yesterday, but I did have some beer battered french fries.  I must have been quite a site before the imitrex kicked in.  Then whos to say what triggered that attack.  Its been a shadowy day for sure.
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
Jayne
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Pull my finger!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11th, 2004, 6:13pm »

on Jul 10th, 2004, 8:13pm, bluesunshine wrote:
night)  to avoid the CH.  

That happens to me too. If I get sloppy drunk, no HA. If I have just one or two drinks = HA.
Mind you since I have been taking Lithium, alcohol is no longer a trigger for me.
IP Logged

If you haven't laughed today, it's been a wasted day. Smiley
911please
New Board Newbie
Canada 

better to be pissed off, than pissed on...I think

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 11th, 2004, 7:04pm »

I am canadian and a canadian beer lover. Grin

I do find two beers = big problemo= ha

I have yet to get past the two beer plateau in this

2 cents in....
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 11th, 2004, 7:41pm »

Not a trigger for me either...least that I can tell.  I usually have a glass or two of wine nightly, and have for years.  Only thing I can say for certainty is that when Redd gets sloppy drunk...never a CH.  Otherwise the beast just comes knocking whenever he damn well feels like it.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
floridian

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 12th, 2004, 10:16am »

Vasodilation is one way that alcohol triggers - but ethanol also stimulates Substance P, nitric oxide and CGRP, chemicals that are overproduced in CH and migraine.  These are involved in pain transmission.  

Quote:
Nat Neurosci. 2002 Jun;5(6):546-51.  

Ethanol elicits and potentiates nociceptor responses via the vanilloid receptor-1.

Trevisani M, Smart D, Gunthorpe MJ, Tognetto M, Barbieri M, Campi B, Amadesi S, Gray J, Jerman JC, Brough SJ, Owen D, Smith GD, Randall AD, Harrison S, Bianchi A, Davis JB, Geppetti P.

Department of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, Headache Center, University of Ferrara, Via Fossato di Mortara 19, 44100 Ferrara, Italy.

The vanilloid receptor-1 (VR1) is a heat-gated ion channel that is responsible for the burning sensation elicited by capsaicin. A similar sensation is reported by patients with esophagitis when they consume alcoholic beverages or are administered alcohol by injection as a medical treatment. We report here that ethanol activates primary sensory neurons, resulting in neuropeptide release or plasma extravasation in the esophagus, spinal cord or skin. Sensory neurons from trigeminal or dorsal root ganglia as well as VR1-expressing HEK293 cells responded to ethanol in a concentration-dependent and capsazepine-sensitive fashion. Ethanol potentiated the response of VR1 to capsaicin, protons and heat and lowered the threshold for heat activation of VR1 from approximately 42 degrees C to approximately 34 degrees C. This provides a likely mechanistic explanation for the ethanol-induced sensory responses that occur at body temperature and for the sensitivity of inflamed tissues to ethanol, such as might be found in esophagitis, neuralgia or wounds.

IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 12th, 2004, 10:22am »

I am boggled with this topic.  Alcohol as a trigger has been discussed here many times.  Is it so hard to lay off it for the duration of an episode?

I am chronic, and once I realized that alcohol was a nasty trigger for me, I quit drinking.  Through experimentation on my own, I found that vodka is not a trigger for me, but I still don't drink.  It's just not worth it for me.

BTW, it seems that wine (esp red) and beer are the biggest triggers for many folks.

Happy drinking!

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jul 12th, 2004, 10:25am »

on Jul 11th, 2004, 11:51am, don wrote:
Vasodialation is the response to alcohol. What property of alcohol is the culprit? Dont know, but it is vasodialation that is causing the CH.

I believe it is the fermented yeast that kicks you guys into high gear, Don.  But there I go again on my about the yeast/candida connection.

However, I notice that my sinuses stuff right up after just one beer - my body's reaction to the fermented yeast.  I think it's doing the same thing to clusterheads.  Just my .034 cents worth (Cdn equivalent).  Wink
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
don

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jul 12th, 2004, 10:36am »

The yeast thing would be my guess to.

I'll bet you bake a lot of bread up there in the tundra dontcha?

Nice diversion from the sled dog races.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jul 12th, 2004, 10:40am »

we call it bannock, cuzzin.  It's real good dipped in whale blubber.  Wink

look it up.  

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
don

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jul 12th, 2004, 10:48am »

Quote:
A Saskatchewan firm markets a bannock mix, and recipe books from coast to coast upgrade bannock with butter, oatmeal, raisins, cornmeal and dried fruit."

Saskatchewan? Isn't thast the big hairy guy people keep seeing riunning around in the woods?

I aint eating nuttin he bakes!
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jul 12th, 2004, 10:50am »

Beer and wine are more than just alcohol - red wine is loaded with things that affect the blood vessels. Yeast could be a factor, but alcohol itself also has an effect.  

on Jul 12th, 2004, 10:40am, Margi wrote:
we call it bannock, cuzzin.  It's real good dipped in whale blubber.  Wink

It's been years since my freezer was stocked with whale meat - hard to find in the lower 50.  Some of my friends from the Faroe Islands were raised up using whale blubber as a pacifier.  Never actually ate the stuff myself - ended up pitching it out when I moved back to the US.  
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jul 12th, 2004, 11:23am »

Whale Blubber. MMMMMMMMM!

Should go nicely with some fresh tripe on the old sish-ke-bob.
IP Logged
farmboy
New Board Veteran
USA 

In Cycle and in Pain

« Reply #21 on: Jul 12th, 2004, 11:57am »

Alcohol i drink and i  have a headache with in an hour. Found that out  just after i had started to get these headaches again.  before that drank thousands and never a problem.  i used to be able to drink anything beer , wine  and hard liquor all in tha same evening with no problem and hardly ever a hangover.  now if i take one drink i am going to get a headache.
IP Logged
Chronic
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #22 on: Jul 12th, 2004, 4:20pm »

I really surprised at how many people say Alcohol doesn't effect them.  One small drink and POW, I'm screwed.  Also the same thing with a smoke regardless of cig or joint.  One toke and I'm a gonner.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jul 12th, 2004, 4:23pm »

on Jul 12th, 2004, 4:20pm, Chronic wrote:
I really surprised at how many people say Alcohol doesn't effect them.  

Alcohol doesn't affect me (ten months of the year).  In cycle, any type of adult beverage gives me a grown up headache.  
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #24 on: Jul 12th, 2004, 9:07pm »

on Jul 12th, 2004, 4:20pm, Chronic wrote:
I really surprised at how many people say Alcohol doesn't effect them.  

Actually very few of us are not triggered by alcohol...I'm one...and damn I drink the red wine too...

I'm just guessing...but there has to be some slight difference in the manifestation of this in chronics...because it appears that us chronics are less likely to be triggered.  Some still are but I don't think the percentage is as great as with episodics.  Maybe fate has allowed us a bit of a trade off?  Who knows...  

The human mind has a way of recognizing the patterns in things that cause itself discomfort. Classic conditioning.  Pavlovian behavioral theory.  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss