Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 8:31am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « daylight »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   daylight
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: daylight  (Read 764 times)
prospero
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

daylight
« on: Jul 7th, 2004, 5:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I started a new bout of cluster headaches last week, after being free of them for a remarkable 5 years.  I was woken by an excruciating headache a few mornings last week at about 4.30 a.m.  I live in London, UK, and in Summertime here the sun rises very early, so I figured something external must be triggering this, or at least, there must be some way my brain senses the early start of daylight, which was coinciding with the headache.  The last two nights, I have tried completely blacking out the windows so that there is absolutely no light filtering into my bedroom. Amazingly, I wasn't woken up by a headache! Does anyone else have any experience/information relevant to this possible connection between daylight hours and headaches? (unfortunately, I had another headache yesterday at 12.00 noon, but I still think there's some connection here).
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

Re: daylight
« Reply #1 on: Jul 7th, 2004, 7:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For some people daylight or the lack of it seems to be the trigger. For some it is  too little sleep. For some it is jet lag.

We know that the hypothalamus, that houses/is the body's internal clock, has SOMETHING to do with us getting clusters, but we are very far away from knowing what that something is.

If blacking out the room contunues to works for you, great.
If not, you could try melatonin. an easy and cheap supplement that regulates sleeping/waking that has worked for ome here.
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
floridian

Email

Re: daylight
« Reply #2 on: Jul 7th, 2004, 9:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jul 7th, 2004, 5:57am, prospero wrote:
Does anyone else have any experience/information relevant to this possible connection between daylight hours and headaches? (unfortunately, I had another headache yesterday at 12.00 noon, but I still think there's some connection here).  

For most episodic sufferers, clusters are strongly tied to the calendar and the clock.  Clusters are more common as one moves away from the equator (as the difference between summer daylength and winter daylength increases). At higher latitudes, the changing daylength places a greater stress on our biological clocks.  The hypothalamus, which is abnormal in clusterheads, is a key part of the body's biological clock. Melatonin, a key sleep hormone, is abnormally low in most cluster heads, and the low levels are seen all year, not just in cycle.  

Anything that helps stabilize circadian cycles might help with clusters.  Taking a melatonin supplement before bed has been proven to help (but is not permitted in the EU - melatonin is a food supplement in the US, but a controlled hormone in Europe).  Trying to keep daylength more even over the year may also help some (using window shades, retiring at a constant hour, etc).  Getting strong sunlight for 15 minutes at mid-day may help some.  Staying up late or taking drugs that interfere with sleep can initiate a cycle for me (pseudoephedrine is especially bad for me).  Taking caffeine in the late afternoon or evening reduces melatonin production for that evening.  
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss