Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 2:04am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Sleep Apnea and Cluster »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Sleep Apnea and Cluster
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sleep Apnea and Cluster  (Read 516 times)
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Sleep Apnea and Cluster
« on: Jul 4th, 2004, 4:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Headache. 2004 Jun;44(6):607-10.  

Obstructive sleep apnea and cluster headache.

Graff-Radford SB, Newman A.

A patient with cluster headache often wakes from sleep. The relationship to sleep apnea has been described. This study sought to confirm the relationship cluster may have with sleep apnea. Methods.-Thirty-nine consecutive patients diagnosed with episodic cluster headache according to the International Headache Society (IHS) criteria were sent for polysomnographic studies. All patients were in an active phase when they were in the study. Patients were told of the proposed relationship and were allowed to choose a sleep laboratory close to their home. Results.-Thirty-one patients with episodic cluster headache completed an overnight polysomnographic study. Twenty-three were male and eight female. The average age was 51 years (range 33 to 78 years). The average weight was 173 pounds (range 117 to 260 pounds). A total of 80.64% had sleep apnea (25/31). Average respiratory depression index (RDI) was 19.0 (SD 14.6) with 6 patients having no apnea, 10 having mild, 11 having moderate, and 4 having severe apnea (RDI < 5 = none; RDI 5 to 20 mild; RDI 20 to 40 moderate; RDI > 40 severe). Oxygen saturation decreased on average to 88.4% SD 4.5. Sleep efficiency was 76.2% (SD 13.4). Conclusions.-The data closely approximate those of Chervin et al, where 80% had RDI > 5. The relationship sleep apnea has in the perpetuation or precipitation of cluster headache is still to be determined. There are some reports that treatment stops the cluster but there is no prospective study. The high incidence (80.64%) seen in this population suggests the cluster patient should receive a sleep evaluation and perhaps intervention with continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) or an appropriate dental device.

PMID: 15186306 [PubMed - in process]  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

Re: Sleep Apnea and Cluster
« Reply #1 on: Jul 4th, 2004, 4:43pm »

Interesting...

Any chance that someone could have sleep apnea and not know it?  I do not seem to suffer any symptoms.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 4th, 2004, 5:12pm »

Chris, yes, indeed. Many folks, for example, complain of poor quality sleep or being tired during the day, but are not aware of their apnea. Since apnea does not fully awaken someone, they are often not aware of just how often their breathing, sleep, etc. is disrupted.

Not uncommon for the person's bed partner to be the one to report the symptoms especially when associated with loud snoring.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: Jul 4th, 2004, 7:38pm »

Im not sure if I have a sleeping disorder or not, but I do know when I wake with the beginnings of CH, I am pretty sweaty, especially around the back of my neck.  If I wake with a full blown headache comming on, Im sweaty all over.  If I am lucky, oxygen will minimize the pain, (leaves me with the shadows).  If Im not so lucky, the oxygen helps some, while waiting for the imitrex to start working.   Either way, when I am awake or asleep, and I feel that twing in my head, I get a sinking feeling in my stomache.  Oftentimes, its a real bear riding out the time, till the pain subsides.   Then, I get sleepy.
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 5th, 2004, 4:55am »

Can anyone tell me if sleep apnea affects blood pressure?  I know that I have sleep apnea, and I have had Clark wake me up a few times and tell me to breathe.

Every occassion I've been in the hospital my overnight blood pressure drops into the range of 70's over 30's.  While it doesn't seem to have any adverse affects on my ability to stay alive, it gets nurses and doctors pretty edgy and I wonder if it's because of sleep apnea rather than a problem with my actual blood pressure?

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 5th, 2004, 2:00pm »

on Jul 4th, 2004, 4:43pm, Prense wrote:
Interesting...

Any chance that someone could have sleep apnea and not know it?  I do not seem to suffer any symptoms.

Chris

If you have a signif. other ask...
THe snoring, restlessness that we may not know we exhibit in our sleep: they may observe.  
I've got it but what the hell ya gonna do? Fix my septum? Where a mask all night long? sleep this way or that way?

It's sometimes more of a bitch for our spouses or the one's we sleep with  laugh

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 5th, 2004, 9:55pm »

Except, Eric, that severe apnea has been linked to heart problems and issues secondary to chronic fatigue.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 6th, 2004, 9:14am »

Well, like I said.  I do not suffer any symptoms and according to my wife, I do not snore.  I have to assume I do not have it.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 6th, 2004, 10:57am »

on Jul 6th, 2004, 9:14am, Prense wrote:
Well, like I said.  I do not suffer any symptoms and according to my wife, I do not snore.  I have to assume I do not have it.

Chris

She's just being nice! Grin

Seriously though, this thread has me wondering...
I was snoring up a storm last night (when I was able to sleep). My fiance actually had to leave the room and sleep in the living room.
Point is: I know that I have apnea as well and that they wanted (ENT) to either take care of this through O2 all night (the positive air flow) and or surgery to fix my deviated septum. I figured I'd wait until after my wedding (this November) Now I wonder if that would have helped @ all or if I'd just have a more well rested fiance?
Anyway who the hell knows.
Just sick of this shit all together and trying to be positive is sometimes difficult! Y'all know.

Feel Well,
Eric
IP Logged

Space in-between them
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 6th, 2004, 11:00am »

on Jul 5th, 2004, 9:55pm, Bob_Johnson wrote:
Except, Eric, that severe apnea has been linked to heart problems and issues secondary to chronic fatigue.

And if I haven't developed heart problems from that I'm going to because of the increased smoking since this cycle started.  

Best,
"Frustrated Putz" E
IP Logged

Space in-between them
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #10 on: Jul 17th, 2004, 12:35am »

Hi Guys!

Some may know others may not but I am a Respiratory Therapist who also has Obstructive sleep apnea.  I deal with this every day so here is my input.

Yes the diagnosis is usually started by a loved one who complains about snoring.  Its not just SAWING logs kinda snoring there is a definate patern to it.  You would have to watch but a person with Obstructive sleep apnea will actually stop breathing.  More so thier airway will obstruct and they will try to breathe but there is no air flow.  You would see someone look like they were gasping for breath while they sleep. Their CO2 levels reach a certain point and your brain says WHOA  take a DEEP breath. YES I said C02 levels. Our bodies breath on its desire to have or get rid of C02. This breath is usually the snore as you force air past the obstruction and those extra hard braths will continue until your C02 levels reach their norms.  Now understand you WILL NOT REMEMBER waking up.  You my like in my case wake up over 200 times in your sleep.  This is not actually a EYE opening wake. It is a disturbance in you restful sleep period.  So instead of being in your restful sleep period for several hours a night you are in it for only 1 or 2 and this time is spaced out durring the night so you are never in it for more than a few mins at a time.

Sleepapnea maybe related to an anatomical or physical trait such as deviated septum or as is in most cases  it is Wieght related.   With too much adipose or FAT around the neck as we rest the muscles in our neck relaxe and the can not hold open the airway.  CPAP helps  

Othey signs/symptoms are just not feeling rested in the morning, HEADACHES  (DUE TO OXYGEN DEPRIVATION)
day time sleepiness.

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 17th, 2004, 9:46am »

Quote:
I am a Respiratory Therapist who also has Obstructive sleep apnea.

DO you sleep with the CPAP?  
I went for all the tests and couldn't tolerate sleeping with that thing (the mask and the required positions)

Never know what to do...
Not rested when deep in cycle or not rested because of the apnea or both or when not in cycle its the other..

YAWN!!!!!!!  

BE well & nice info.

E
IP Logged

Space in-between them
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss