Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 8:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « A bunch of ( I hope there not stupid) questions »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   A bunch of ( I hope there not stupid) questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A bunch of ( I hope there not stupid) questions  (Read 446 times)
Crying
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

A bunch of ( I hope there not stupid) questions
« on: Jun 25th, 2004, 10:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

[left]Hi, everybody! Ok.  This is my second time I have posted at this site. I have been having headaches for years and was diagnoised as a migrain suffer.  Problem is my headaches have been changing.  Last 2+ months I have been having headaches almost every night and sometimes in the day.  My symtoms are now more like CH .  No araus , 15-90 min. long droppy eyelid  pain 8+ on kip scale dancing but I have severe nausa and and I periods of mild pain  around eye and pain change sides once between one headach and the next but mostly stays on left side. I have  read some of the info on the site but I have a bunch of questions.  Some of them have problay have already been asked and answered before but anyway here we go...  

• What questions should I ask of me nero?  (I have an apptment on Tues. June 29th.)
    What should I tell my nero or bring to apptment?
    My nero has me on trazadone/desytril is it any good for CH?
    What exactly is a shadow? How painful do shadows get? Do they come before or after both?
    Do allergies affect CH?  ( I am very allergic to mold and dust.)
    I am on zyrtec and flonase for my allergies.  Do they help or cause or no effect on CH?
    You keep metioning oxegon for CH.  How dangerous/hard is it to use.  My house uses gas for heating and cooking and I am worried about blowing my self up!  I have noticed feel better when they given it to me in ER though.
    Is stress a trigger? Doctors are always telling me to eat better avoid stress and lose weight.  As if head bashing headaches every night aren't stressful!
    Does diet help or vitamins help?
    Is weight a factor?

Ok.  I'm done for now can't think of anymore stupid question. Wink

IP Logged
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

Re: A bunch of ( I hope there not stupid) question
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25th, 2004, 10:36pm »

Well, I can't answer all of your questions, but I can share a little . . .Flonase would bring on h/a if D used it during cycle.  We don't have gas, but we hauled o2 everywhere and didn't blow up . . . When in cycle stress did bring on h/as . . .

Read about the medications, know what they are, and ask questions.  Advocate for yourself as much as possible.  

I'm sure others will be in to answer your questions *smiles*
*positive light and energy*
D/miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26th, 2004, 12:19am »

Thoughts... (not a Doctor!)...
Obviously all the advice below assumes you are diagnosed with CH after your neuro visit... very very important!!!!

For your neuro trip... print... read... summary info on many of the current treatments (not all!)...  
http://www.future-drugs.com/admin/articlefile/ERN020304.pdf
Note... the O2 numbers are low.  You want 15lpm.

CH tends not to change sides on the fly...

Shadows... go down half a page and read the thread 'What exactly are "shadows".  For me they are not tied to a given CH... they are just a fun part of an episode... have had a minor shadow all day... I know my head is there... and I know I am in an episode.

Oxygen... no danger, unless you smoke near it.  A common sense thing.  Kinda like skydiving... the uncommonly stupid are quickly culled.

Diet may have an effect, only in the sense that some foods may trigger for some people.  Eat much alcohol?  Alcohol is a common trigger for episodics.

Doubt weight is a factor.  Note that on Topamax you will lose weight, since everything tastes like shit.

Nighty night.
Wrokk
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2004, 12:20am by Lobster » IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26th, 2004, 6:21am »

on Jun 25th, 2004, 10:25pm, Crying wrote:
[left] pain change sides once between one headach and the next but mostly stays on left side.

Uncommon but NOT unheard of. My attacks are about 90% left sided now. They never switch sides during an attack. The first 12 years (epesodic) .. all my attacks were right sided. I had never experienced an attack on the left until I became chronic in 2000.  

trazadone/desytril ? I can't help you with these meds. Sorry

I do believe that stress can bring on an attack.

Try to get as much info as possible to take with you to your neuro appointment. Your the first person who has asked about trazadone/desytril that I know of on this board. Find out the most common CH Meds ... like Verapamil, 02, Triptans (like Imitrex), Lithium, Topomax, Depakote, or for short term use ... steriods (like a 60 - 80 mg taper of Prednisone, a Dex Pack, or Medrol Dosepack)

Goodluck and be careful with O2 & open flames !!

PS...Don't fry up any bacon with an O2 mask on !! Grin

Unsolved
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 26th, 2004, 1:07pm »

Hi there,

I've tried it.  In my opinion it's useless for CH.

It's not a commonly prescribed anti-depressant, especially not for guys.  I've never heard of it ever helping CH.

I hope you find something that works.  If I were you, I'd start with oxygen and verapamil as they are often the most effective with the least side effects.  Of course, you must be seen by a doc first.

take care,

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 26th, 2004, 1:45pm »

You've gotten some good advice here.  Hope some of it helps!!

As far as oxygen being dangerous....it's only a contraindication if you have COPD or another breathing disease.  In those cases...O2 can be bad.

My roommate is an EMT for our local ambulance, and she said the only thing they fear with O2 is if those canisters fall over and the valve were to be damaged at all, they can take off like a speeding metal rocket.  It's advised to keep it laying down or in a carrier/stand if you can!!! Smiley

Hang in there!
Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 27th, 2004, 12:42am »

Keeping a diary of your ha's is a good thing to do.
This can be very helpful for your doc.

Note times, intensity of ha, how long the ha lasts, and what, if anything, you took to help relieve the pain.

I have had a few migraines in my life....I thought they were pretty bad...as far as pain goes.   THEN....I experienced CH !!!   IMHO, there is NO comparison.

The pain of CH is not something you will ever forget.  For me, it's undoubtedly the WORST pain I have ever experienced.   Child birth was a piece of cake!!!

Hope you get what you need from your neuro.  

PF vibes,

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
maryo
New Board Junior
USA 

Johnny & Roy puzzle where to apply the O2 mask

« Reply #7 on: Jun 27th, 2004, 8:45pm »

Trazadone is a pain killer.  I don't think pain killers generally work on CHs.  In fact, I've had CHs triggered by pain killers.  I don't know about desryel.

I do know that no one, not even two neuros I saw while I was lost in the 20-year maze of not knowing what was wrong diagnosed me.  It wasn't until I saw the questionnaire info on this website that I realized I was a CH sufferer and my pattern was classic.  Docs were always puzzled.  One said I couldn't be having CHs since I was female.

I use Cafergot to abort.  O2 has not worked for me.  I am a paramedic and O2 is no concern unless you take O2 by nasal cannual while smoking Marlboros.  Oxygen feeds fire.  It's not a fire hazard per se.  The tank falling can turn into a missile.  

Docs are our partners, not magicians.  Don't be afraid to state a diagnosis if you feel strongly you have CHs.
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 27th, 2004, 10:08pm »

Here's some information on the anti-depressant trazodone (aka Desyrel):

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/pharmclips2.cgi?keyword=%20%20Desyrel%20%AE%20 #uses

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Crying
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Jun 29th, 2004, 3:09am »

[left]

I am on zyrtec and flonase for my allergies.  Do they help or cause or no effect on CH?

I mentioned deystol because that's what I'm currently on but not helping my headaches go away at all.  The doctors keep giving me anti depressants instead of the  meds I need.  My husband is  on kidney diaylsis waiting for transplant.  He's been on the list for 4 years now.  The docs keep focosing on my "stressful situation".  I have had BIG headaches since I was 12 guys.  He's disease hasn't changed that but docs keep focusing on my stress levels.  I need something to keep these headaches away so I can take of my husband and son.  Luckly water works for me most of the time but I feel like a fish.  Hopefully my nero will help me.  Just a few more hours now before visit 9:15 am (pacific)
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 29th, 2004, 6:16am »

Quote:
Trazadone is a pain killer.

Trazadone is actually NOT  a pain killer it is an antidepressent that is also used for anxiety.

Should be the med prescibed for the CH but may be used for those "bug- out" times where ya need to calm down and just can't do it yourself!

I personally needed Xanax after I've taken my abortives and still going hard for 2 hours (whole other story) or taken cause developing anxiety over having an attak while teaching. Anyway this is your time.  

get additonal help!! Smiley
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss