Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 8:35am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « TAPERING QUESTION... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   TAPERING QUESTION...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: TAPERING QUESTION...  (Read 249 times)
Maria_Scala

Email

TAPERING QUESTION...
« on: Jun 25th, 2004, 8:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Guys:
I'm new to the site so I'm trying to familiarize myself with some of the wording.  What exactly is "tapering"??? Is it like weaning off???  Feel silly asking.  I'm on Depakota ER now, I want to get off of it, but my doctor won't give me Verapamil or any drug that can tend to rise your blood pressure.  Any suggestions.  And I suppose I would have to "taper" off Depakote ER right?  I've taken it for 2 weeks and have had only a headache a week, so obviously it's working.  I'm also on imitrex and OX for aborting them, but I know the side effects of Depakote ER are not the greatest and I also notice that most of you are not on it...some advice would help.  Hope everyone is PF today (I got that one finally - pain free!)  Grin
IP Logged
thomas

Email

Re: TAPERING QUESTION...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25th, 2004, 9:33am »

yes, you are right tapering is like weaning.  ramping is just the opposite.
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25th, 2004, 9:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thomas is right on - tapering means gradually lowering the dose.  The idea is control the clusters with the least amount of meds.

I'm confused about your docs reluctance on prescribing Verap, though.  I was kept on it after my last cycle because I'm hypertensive and it helps lower B/P.

I'm not familiar with Depakote, but if it works for you stick with it!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25th, 2004, 9:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 25th, 2004, 8:44am, Maria_Scala wrote:
Hi Guys:
I'm new to the site so I'm trying to familiarize myself with some of the wording.  What exactly is "tapering"??? Is it like weaning off???

Yeah, like taking a slightly smaller dosage, see how it affects you, kind of like a feedback loop, then decrease again if a couple days go by and the attacks don't return more frequently.  A slow paced, decreasing of the dosage in regular steps.  

Quote:
my doctor won't give me Verapamil or any drug that can tend to rise your blood pressure.  

Verapamil will lower blood pressure, doctors know that.

Kevin M
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2004, 9:55am by Kevin_M » IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 25th, 2004, 10:01am »

Tapering= Gradual lowering of dosage.
IP Logged
Maria_Scala

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 25th, 2004, 11:06am »

Thanks guys.  I thought so, but thanks for clarifying.  I could have misunderstood him and took what he said to mean the opposite.  I don't have adrenal glands due to a tumor that made my blood pressure go up.  When he saw that on my records, I thought he said that's why he couldn't prescribe it.  Either way, I'm looking for another Neuro.  Thanks again!  Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss