Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 8:18am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Taking the edge off the pain »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Taking the edge off the pain
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Taking the edge off the pain  (Read 270 times)
JBC
New Board Newbie
USA 

Am I out of Imitrex again?!

Email

Taking the edge off the pain
« on: Jun 21st, 2004, 12:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is a few of the things I have tried.  They all work.  Some are better than others. I do not do all of these things at the same time, but I have tried them all at one time or another.

Oxygen at 8LPM for about 10-20 minutes.

Soaking in a bathtub filled with very hot water. I make the water below scalding.  It is uncomfortable, but I manage to get adjusted.  Then I soak my entire body inclusing my head.  The only part out of the water is my eyes, nose, and mouth.

I drink a cup of hot coffee--extra stong.

I smoke a cigarette or two.  

I walk around the block once or twice (which is usually at 2 or 3am)

I distract myself with activity.  I will work on a model airplane, work on the computer, pay bills...whatever to focus heavily on something other than my pain.

I am sorry if this is gross but I must include it because it seems to work a little:  Bodily functions can help relieve some of the pain.  This includes a sneeze, a burp, or a bowel movement.  I do not know why, but it helps.  (I am sorry to be graphic).
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Taking the edge off the pain
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21st, 2004, 1:08pm »

on Jun 21st, 2004, 12:34am, JBC wrote:
This is a few of the things I have tried.  They all work.  Some are better than others. I do not do all of these things at the same time, but I have tried them all at one time or another.I think everyone has their little tricks they play on/for themselves during an attack.

Oxygen at 8LPM for about 10-20 minutes. Do you have a regulator that allows you to increase to 12? You might be able to reduce the relief time to 5-10 minutes.

Soaking in a bathtub filled with very hot water. I make the water below scalding.  It is uncomfortable, but I manage to get adjusted.  Then I soak my entire body inclusing my head.  The only part out of the water is my eyes, nose, and mouth. Some use heat and some use cold. I'm an iceman myself. Please be careful with the water temp.

I drink a cup of hot coffee--extra stong.Yep! Lots of people saying the same thing.

I smoke a cigarette or two. Yep! Or 3 or 5.

I walk around the block once or twice (which is usually at 2 or 3am)

I distract myself with activity.  I will work on a model airplane, work on the computer, pay bills...whatever to focus heavily on something other than my pain. Now that is something I could never do. I must be up and moving

I am sorry if this is gross but I must include it because it seems to work a little:  Bodily functions can help relieve some of the pain.  This includes a sneeze, a burp, or a bowel movement.  I do not know why, but it helps.  (I am sorry to be graphic).
Like I said above, everyone has their own little tricks. I constantly try to make my ears "pop". Don't know why I do it. It doesn't help at all.

Welcome to the board. Stick around and tell us more about you.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

Re: Taking the edge off the pain
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21st, 2004, 4:55pm »

Hmmmm... I make my ears pop too. That and squeeze the air out from behind my eye which makes a squishing sound. I think that ones sort of unique to me though.

I'd agree higher flow on the O2 would be a tremendous improvement. I use welders o2, so I'm not sure how many lpm's I get... Probably about 20 I'd say. But I can bust a headache in less than 5 min's.

Coffee = good...
Cigs = comforting but bad...

Quote:
I distract myself with activity.  I will work on a model airplane, work on the computer, pay bills...whatever to focus heavily on something other than my pain.

No fuckin way... Huh

Sneezing? Shocked That is verrrrry painful to me.
Burping... No effect.
If I could take a shit for relief, I'd do it right in public if I had to. But it doesn't help me.... Angry
IP Logged

Chris
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss