Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 8:28am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « (First Time Post »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   (First Time Post
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: (First Time Post  (Read 358 times)
michaeldalton
New Board Newbie
Noflag 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

(First Time Post
« on: Jun 20th, 2004, 10:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi there. Like so many of you, I've been a severe sufferer of CH for a long time now. I'm 39 & suffered my first attack when I was 30.  Such a nasty shock the first time, & unless one is a bonfide CH victim, one can never understand me when I say, on approaching my ten year anniversary, it is a pain I can never get used to. & who would want to? It is a gift from heaven to find this website. & having found it, I have a couple questions for my fellow sufferers. How many of you smoke? & to what degree? I am one(I have seen four of the best neuros in this country who have all told me CH is not smoking-related), however as a test I stopped after my second cluster period. I had been a non-smoker for approximately 4 months before my third attack & inadvertently started again after a month of mind-numbing pain. In a strange way, I find cigarettes very soothing during an attack. Does anyone else here find this? Another question is how many of you tend to undergo an attack when the seasons are changing? Although there is no definite pattern to my attacks, a lot of the time it hits me when winter changes into spring. My final question is..in the majority of your attacks, are you in a particular kind of mood? I have been attacked during the most exciting, the happiest, the saddest, the most ordinary of times. I do think alcohol is a definite trigger when in cluster mode & in recent years, more & more, they are coming during a good nights sleep. I recently read an article which stated that the majority of CH sufferers are male. Does anyone know if this is definitive? As I said, it's great to find you guys. Peace To All.
IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: (First Time Post
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20th, 2004, 10:33pm »

Random answers!

Yep, most CHers are bucks!  Some say 90%, though I am not certain if I believe that.  I feel that doctors are more apt to label the ladies as migrainers.  

Alcohol is a trigger for episodics.  Not so for chronics (so jonny tells me... correct me if I am in error!).  Moderate alcohol, if I am going light on the preventatives, will trigger one for me.

Mood does not seem to have much to do with it when I am in an episode.  They just arrive without much warning... always have the trex vial and a syringe handy.  Relief if 180 seconds away.  

My episodes come with the New Years holiday, not counting this last one, which is something of a fluke.

I do not smoke, thus cannot comment on those.

Good luck, and welcome!
Wrokk

« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2004, 10:34pm by Lobster » IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #2 on: Jun 20th, 2004, 11:04pm »

All the information that I have read also chronicals men as the main group afflicted by this problem.  Though I tend to agree with rock lobster that the women might be misdiagnosed.  As far as smoking related.  We are all pretty much different and some drugs work for some and not others.  Some people cant drink (Like myself) some can so we are all pretty much different.

Goos Luck Good Vibes and yes this site has single handedly SAVED ME!!!!!

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
thomas

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 21st, 2004, 10:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Take and read the cluster survey.  I think you will find your answers there.  Welcome aboard.  Non-smoking thomas.  Grin
IP Logged
peter K
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:12am »

I guess we men are lucky. Yes, alcohol is a big no-no for me.  Angry.  I tried the quit smoking thing but it didn't make a difference. My cycle starts right after the stress is gone from my job, April 15th.
IP Logged
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 25th, 2004, 2:39pm »

Welcome Michael.

There are a lot more women with clusters than what's indicated. They seem to be misdiagnosed more often then men which is what accounts for the higher men/women ratio. At least that is my opinion from members on this site. Alcohol is the most agreed upon trigger of all Clusterheads. I suggest you refrain while in cycle. Lots to read here so grab an oar and start rowing as they say!

PFDAN
IP Logged
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 25th, 2004, 10:18pm »

D was chronic (6weeks+p/f, drinking was a big  no no (still doesn't drink), and smokes . . . can't say much for seasonal changes/triggers, since he was chronic.
*positive light and energy*
D/miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
Romper
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Jun 26th, 2004, 10:09pm »

Well, hello all, just found this site via a newspaper article.  I had my first bout with this demon when I was about 32 or 33.  Now I'm 57.  I'm sitting here counting my blessings as I havn't had an episode for going on 5 years.  Prior to that it was once, sometimes twice a year.  I quit alcohol 9 years ago and had two episodes without any booze in my system. The last time landed me in the emergency room at 3 in the morning.  Yow!  Strange though, that was the worst of many bad ones and then they just seemed to cease.  Go figure.  I have heard that they taper off as we age, so guess that's one good thing about gettin long in the tooth.  Just wanted to give heart to some of you.  Maybe yours will end sometime too.  Though it's been awhile now I still fear it and when I sometimes get a twinge in my right eye, I really sit up and take notice.  
Good luck to you all.

Keith
Redding CA
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 26th, 2004, 11:22pm »

What newspaper?
IP Logged
Romper
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

SRe: (First Time Post
« Reply #9 on: Jun 27th, 2004, 12:01am »

Was in the Record Searchlight, the local paper here in Redding.
IP Logged
Ronny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Belgium 

Yabba Dabba Doo

maximus_imperius  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 27th, 2004, 2:02am »

Hi, my first post too. I'm blessed with CH diagnose only two weeks ago. Had the headaches for 7 years but were almost always gone after 30 mins. The last three months, i'm having them every day and night. My neuro told me it happens most to male smokers so i dont smoke anymore now. I stay as far as i can from alcohol, a few sips of wine sets my head on fire.
IP Logged

Count your rainbows, not your thunderstorms.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss