Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 1:55am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Sufferer's First Post; What helps »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Sufferer's First Post; What helps
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sufferer's First Post; What helps  (Read 404 times)
JSavarese04
New Board Newbie
USA 

"The day is gone I'm on my back..."

JustinSav44

Sufferer's First Post; What helps
« on: Jun 18th, 2004, 7:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello Everyone -

First off, I just wanted to thank everyone for making this website possible. I thought I was alone in this world of pain Ive been going through but I guess I'm not. It has been very helpful.  
Now, onto my situation. Although similar to most of yours, my situation has little differences. It started in College (Im only 22) - One night while away, laying in my bed in my dorm room, I was awaken my a sharp pain in my eye ball which grew both in pain and size gradually. It lasted about 2 hours and I paced aroud the dorm, crying until I was so exhausted i fell asleep. This happened for 3 straight weeks. Long story short. I had to drop out of that semester because of it. Doctors didnt know what it was. "Migrains" is what they told me. I wish they were merley a migrain. A migrain is a walk in the park comaped to these.  
4 years now, usually in the change of seasons (i.e. fall, summer) I have been getting these month long episodes of every night awaking in the worst pain Ive ever been in in my life.  
Afraid to go to sleep... I once was awake for 48 hours. When i finally got to sleep - I was awoken 3 hors later with the worst one yet. I popped 3 Excedrin Migrain and 1 furecet. LAyed right back down with nothing in my stomach - next day i was in the hospital with 3 ulcers in my stomach. Doctors were baffled, and finally I saw a nuerologist. A god send. After test upon test and $$$ upon $$$. He finally perscribed a pill called DEPAKOTE. (Anti Seisure drug) -  Anyone ever hear of it? I was told to take one before i went to sleep ... and boom, just like that - I never got em. I just started another episode 2 nights ago (which sucked) but i got my perscription refilled and have been taking them regularly before naps/sleep and I havnt got one since. So basically I have to suffer through one, just to know Im getting the headaces and take the meds for about a month.... or until i dont take it one night and i dont get one.  
Anyways. I just wanted to let you all know, I share your pain.... and it does suck. But know that theres alot of us out there and we can help eachother.  

Best Wishes to you all -  

Please respond with feedback ect.  

Justin Roll Eyes
IP Logged
BlueMeanie

Email

Re: Sufferer's First Post; What helps
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18th, 2004, 7:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Justin,

Welcome to Clusterville. I have not taken Depakote but there are people who have and will come along with their experience with the stuff. Please read the medical info the left of this page. There are many options available both as prevents and abortives. As cycles come and go you will find what works one cycle may not even put a dent in a CH on another cycle. CH's are very strange and very hard to deal with as I'm sure you're finding out.

Just wanted to say hi and hope your cycle ends soon.
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 18th, 2004, 9:37pm »

Sounds like you have a handle on it.  Depakote did nothing for me at 1000mg/day...
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #3 on: Jun 18th, 2004, 9:52pm »

Welcome to our little corner of the web.  I have no experience with Depakote, but I am glad you have something that works for you.  I'm surprised your neuro didn't prescribe O2 as an abortive.  It's cheap, has no side effects and works for most people.  It usually will abort an attack in 10 - 20 minutes.  Then again with the pure ignorance out there in the medical field, I guess not.

Like Blue said, read everything on the left and on the OUCH website.  Print it out and take it to your gp and your neuro.

Again, welcome to the website.  I'm sorry you had reason to look us up, but glad you found us.

Gator
IP Logged
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19th, 2004, 5:11pm »

I'm glad, confused but glad, that the Depakote seems to work for you.  Depakote is a seizure drug that works on the frontal lobe . . and since the hypothalmus isn't located in the frontal lobe . . I don't understand the reason it's given, or how it worked for you . . but *YAY* that you have relief.
*positive light and energy*
D and miapet
oh, and we vote on the o2, since it doesn't have the *icky* side-effects of the pharmacy.
D/m
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss