Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:58pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Atkins Diet »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Atkins Diet
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Atkins Diet  (Read 2125 times)
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

Re: Atkins Diet
« Reply #25 on: Aug 16th, 2004, 5:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

FYI...

Quote:
Ketosis  
Definition
Ketosis is the presence of excess ketones in the body.

Ketones are chemicals with a carbonyl unit (a carbon doubly bonded to an oxygen) that has two alkyl or aromatic (hydrocarbon) substituents bonded to the carbon atom. Some examples of ketones include:

For each example, we have included some names and synonyms.

Additional Info
Ketones are a byproduct of fat metabolism (the breaking down of fat into energy). Normally, your body is efficient at removing these, but when certain enzymes are absent or damaged, the amount of ketones in the body can build up to dangerous levels.

Certain individuals are predisposed towards ketosis. For example, those with diabetes have low insulin levels and can not process glucose (sugar) for energy. Therefore, their bodies break down fat, leading to a rise in ketone levels.

Ketones can be excreted through the urine and those that are volatile (such as acetone) can be expelled through the lungs. Diabetics can be mistaken for being drunk by the odor on their breath, and acetone being expelled through the lungs can give a false positive result on early model breathalyzers. However, don't expect to escape a ticket as driving while impaired (due to low blood sugar) is still a traffic offense whether you are drunk or not.

Ketosis can lead to coma and death if untreated.
IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #26 on: Aug 16th, 2004, 6:26pm »

YEAH!! What L-2 said.....

Either way Food for thought down the road...
until then I'll have my hearty portion with a side of imitrex and some O2 for desert. Wink

E-2

P.S. as far as dieting goes....Is this really a "decent" way
to lose safely and quickly???
Don't eat that poorly but with the on again off again of roids....I'm never gonna fit into my wedding dress LOL

Feel good
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #27 on: Aug 16th, 2004, 6:31pm »

Well...you guys start the diet and let me know how it goes. Until then, I'm gonna eat whatever I want ... cause dieting is not gonna affect my headaches.

Unsolved  Grin
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
floridian

Email

« Reply #28 on: Aug 16th, 2004, 6:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

There is a big difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis - ketoacidosis is life threatening, ordinary ketosis is not.   Any one who goes on an effective diet (where calories taken in are less than energy expended) will experience some ketosis - that's how fat is burned and people lose weight.  Eskimos that live off of a meat/fish diet are not in danger of diabetic ketoacidosis.  

(not saying that ketosis helps/hurts/or has no effect on clusters - I don't know).
IP Logged
marfanoidus
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

marfanoidus  
Email

« Reply #29 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 2:05pm »

This post is way too long - forgive me.

I should have been a little clearer.

My last cycle stopped when I stopped eating bologna.
The cycle berfore that stopped when I stopped eating peanuts.

And I mean they stopped dead. The cycle that ended with eliminating peanuts was chronic, it had been going on for several years. Within 3 days of stopping peanuts, the HAs were over. I was raised on PB&J sandwiches, and I ate one just about every day into my adulthood.  

Another interesting point - after the HAs went away, for several months if I ate a PB&J sandwich, or a Snickers, or anything with peanuts, I would immediately get a HA - and I'm talking cluster-type.  

The cycle that ended with eliminating bologna started because I was eating a LOT of it while I was interning out of state, and was trying to eat as cheaply as possible - so I think I ate so much of it that I developed an intolerance (which in some ways is what an allergy is) to it. So when I stopped it, the HAs disappeared. And again, for several months if I ate it, I would get HAs.

It seems in both cases for me, that my body had an intolerance to those foods, and when I eliminated them from my diet all was good. But if I reinitroduced them back into my system too soon, I paid the price.

Think about it - some people have food allergies that result in irritable bowel syndrome. Some people eat strawberries and get a rash. Some people eat corn and get very sleepy. A lot of people are lactose intolerant.  

Some peanut butter companies remove the heart of the peanut before processing, because it seems to be the source of HA causing chemicals. Wine gives a lot of people HAs, as does MSG. But not all people, only some are intolerant to those foods.

People can have different food allergies that manifest in different ways, so why is it so hard to think its possible in some people that foods allergies/intolerances could cause cluster headaches?  Undecided

In my next cycle, once it hits I am going to fast for 4 days, since thats long enough to get all foods out of the system. Whatever happens to the cylce, it will be a learning experience for me.

Quote:
P.S. as far as dieting goes....Is this really a "decent" way to lose safely and quickly???  
Don't eat that poorly but with the on again off again of roids....I'm never gonna fit into my wedding dress LOL

First off, congrats!! Next, this is going to sound rude, and I don't mean it that way at all - the way all diets work if they work at all, is that people have to burn off more calories than they take in - that simple.  

You can estimate your basal metabolic rate, and add the amount of caloric expenditure you get from additional excercise and activities, and get a pretty good guess at your daily caloric needs - then you make sure you consume fewer calories than you need. It takes about 3500 calories to make a pound of fat, so an example would be if your daily caloric need is 2500 calories and you only eat 2300 calories, in 18 days you will have burned off a pound more than you took in.

Eating is adding burnable mass to our bodies. If we don't burn it, we'll excrete some and store the rest.

Quote:
Ketosis can lead to coma and death if untreated.

Depending on who you read and trust, the issue of the safety of ketosis remains open. My feeling on it is that with the popularity of low-carb diets now, our hospitals would be overflowing with patients suffering from the ill effects and it would have been more than broadcast through the media by now. The Atkins diet is approaching 30 years of popularity - 30 years Shocked for a diet craze is a loooooooooong time - if it was dangerous, believe me, we would all know.  

Anyway, I've probably offended some and bored the rest.

good luck to all
IP Logged

Sometimes "What doesn't kill you" makes you wish it had.
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #30 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 2:47pm »

So, you're saying that dieting stops your cycles ??

Why don't you let some of the top CH researchers know this and see what they have to say ?

Unsolved
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #31 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 3:44pm »

OK Marf.... Maybe foods do cause your clusters...

I wish the same was true for me (and everyone else....). Lips Sealed
IP Logged

Chris
farmboy
New Board Veteran
USA 

In Cycle and in Pain

« Reply #32 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 9:09pm »

Well here is my 2 cents worth.

i eat about a jar of jif the 40 oz one every other week, and at least a pound of lebanon bologna every week.  no problem in my case.
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #33 on: Aug 18th, 2004, 5:29am »

My version of a detox diet, where I eat only fresh fruit, fresh veg and drink only water for 1-2 weeks(that's pretty  damn near to "fasting" for me!) has been effective in breaking my CH cycle in the past 3 cycles now.

The first time I tried it about 6-8 weeks into my cycle and it broke within 4 days.
The second time I tried it about 3 weeks into my cycle and it broke within 4 days.
The third time I tried it as soon as the CH pains started days into my cycle and it broke within 4 days.

Each time I was PF for about a year or more.

I cannot even begin to think about eating like this long-term, but as a short intense diet it works for me to break the unbearable CH cycle.

My method is not without discomfort and might not work fo rmany. Each time I have done it I have endured a 3-5 day continuous throbbing headache, probably due to the fairly intense "fasting effect". But it has been worth it to stop the debilitating CH, and the expensive intake of imigran injections.

And for those who have not tried it please don't make stupid statements like "I'm gonna eat whatever I want ... cause dieting is not gonna affect my headaches. " until you have tried it to see if it works for you.

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
LadyLuv
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #34 on: Aug 18th, 2004, 1:50pm »

I started Atkins Low Carb Diet in Sept. 2003 -  Just as I was coming out of a three-week CH series. I've  went from a size 16-18 down to a 10-12; a 39" waist , down to a 31". At the present time I am in the maintainence stage. I feel better than I have in years.... I eat candy, ice cream vegetables, pasta and etc. (low or no carbs of course)  But at the same time I am still have CH's..  The first part of this year I went through a 5 week series. At the present time I am in the 3rd week of a series. This last series provided me with a very unpleasent change - until this year, I had never suffered clusters during the day - only the wee-hours of the morning.

So please don't knock something that you haven't tried.. We must realize that no matter what it is, something that's not good for one of us, might help many others. We're here to support each other and share ideas..  

While the diet did nothing to stop or abort my headaches, it has made me feel better about my appearance.

Peace & Blessings
LadyLuv Kiss Wink Wink
IP Logged

http://i5.tinypic.com/20s7l1l.jpg [/img ]
don

Email

« Reply #35 on: Aug 18th, 2004, 2:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
So please don't knock something that you haven't tried..

Heres the question.

Quote:
Has anyone ever heard of a low-carb lifestyle affecting CH cycles?

Heres the answer

Quote:
the diet did nothing to stop or abort my headaches

Quote:
it has made me feel better about my appearance.

Botox will give you firmer finer looking lips but it wont do jack for CH either.
IP Logged
chrismo
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #36 on: Aug 30th, 2004, 12:13am »

Thanks LadyLuv.... I was waiting for someone to say exactly what you said. I wanted someone to tell me that they are committed to a low-carb lifestyle and that they still suffered just as bad from CH.

IP Logged
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #37 on: Aug 30th, 2004, 3:12am »

Not to beat a dead horse...

Tried Atkins, lost like 27 pounds in 3 weeks.  Crazy.  Doctor made me stop because he said 1) I was loosing weight too fast and 2) in Ketosis the acididty level of the fluid around my brain raised, which counteracted the mediaction I take for depression (prozac).  Thats why in those 3 weeks I was such an ass.  Mood swings like I had never felt before.  I am no doctor, so I don't know the physiology behind this stuff.  I just did what he said.

Nothing to do with my clusters though.  I wasn't in cycle, and the doc didn't say anything.

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #38 on: Aug 30th, 2004, 4:46am »

ok - so we have established that a diet or fasting may not be any use for stopping a CH cycle for many of you, but.....

It seems clear to me that it may be effective for many others. Quite a few have said so here in the past.

So what have you got to lose????? How many have actually tried?

Instead of running to the doctor for yet more experiments with dangerous meds why not give this a try for just a week and see if it works for you - if you have the guts and willpower!

Drink ONLY water and lots and lots of it.
Fast or seriously limit food intake
Eat only fresh fruit or veg

If enough people try it (which I doubt many here have the willpower to do!) them maybe a survey could be done on it's effectiveness.

And as for letting the medical authorities know about possible positive effect of a diet to break a CH cycle- well the idea has been treated with much derision here and I have emailed DR Goadsby many time and never had a sigle response - guess he may be too busy with the drug companies looking for "the cure" Sorry to sound so cynical!

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss