Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 28th, 2024, 9:24pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Atkins Diet »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Atkins Diet
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Atkins Diet  (Read 2113 times)
chrismo
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Atkins Diet
« on: Jun 16th, 2004, 10:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

BACKGROUND: I use mushrooms to keep my episodic CH's away. Summer of last year I took a small does mid-cycle and then 5 days later took another small does and the CH's went away completely until Jan. of 04. At the beginning of that cycle I took a small dose and then 5 days later took another small dose. The CH's went away completely. It is now the time of the year when I should at least be shadowing. I am completely free from any meds I've ever been prescribed. No Depakote, no beta-blockers, no NOTHING!

POINT: I started the Atkins diet about 3 months ago. Has anyone ever heard of a low-carb lifestyle affecting CH cycles? Is anyone on here a CH sufferor and live a Low-Carb lifestyle?

I normally ALWAYS have some sort of headache during the afternoon. And for years I would have CH cycles 3 times a year for 4-6 weeks each getting hit once a day normally between 7:00AM and Noon.

I have been expecting to AT LEAST shadow from the last dose of shrooms wearing off, but NOTHING.

ok, now you give me feedback : )
IP Logged
thomas

Email

Re: Atkins Diet
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17th, 2004, 9:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Only time will tell, sometimes people "skip" a cycle.
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17th, 2004, 9:49am »

Hi chrismo

There are two points to consider:

1. A widely drummed diet, that allegedly helps so many health problems, so why not CH too?

2. This highly suspicious method propagated at the ClusterBusters site, where it is claimed that a single dose of their magical stuff can keep away clusters from a half to a full year.

The question is: Why haven't your cluster not returned yet? The answer is simple: The Atkins people are very successful and make a lot of money while the ClusterBusters actually beg for money. So the conclusion where the good results come from should be simple......

But if you ask me, you should dump that wellness crap und donate the money saved to the MAPS study project on psilocybin for CH.

PFNADs
Ueli                 smokin
IP Logged
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 20th, 2004, 2:53pm »

Well, I know that Atkins, and other low-carb diets have helped people lose weight . . .but I don't believe it is a healthy practice to cut entire food groups out of our diet.  If the diet specified cutting out refined-carbs and keeping complex carbs, it would be healthier . ..  
just my 2cents
*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Jun 20th, 2004, 3:04pm »

I have to agree with miapet. Cutting out an important part of a healthy diet is unwise. Ever seen a person that has practiced vegetarianism for 20 years? They look like they've been dead for 10 years. Same will happen on the low carb diet.

And IMHO, the Atkins diet is a dangerous rip off sold by the surviving relatives of a fat, dead doctor (doctor of what? I have no idea.) And food sellers have jumped on the scam-wagon with labeling "Low Carb" on products that have always been low carb.
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2004, 3:09pm by BobG » IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #5 on: Jun 20th, 2004, 4:08pm »

Hey celebrate the painfree days my brother in pain!!!  

Good 4 U may they continue!!!

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
chrismo
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20th, 2004, 9:55pm »

TRUST me, dont knock Atkins till you try it, or seriously read up on it. Its not as bad for you as some people like to say. MANY different aspects of my life have improved since I started it, and I just happen to not have CH right now when I normally would.

I was not clear in my original post, basically the point of my post was to see if there were any Clusterheads that are on a controlled carbohydrate diet. If anyone is living a low-carb lifestyle and experiences cluster-headaches at the same time please reply to this thread, for the sake of my own curiosity  Smiley
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 21st, 2004, 3:19pm »

Quote:
POINT: I started the Atkins diet about 3 months ago. Has anyone ever heard of a low-carb lifestyle affecting CH cycles? Is anyone on here a CH sufferor and live a Low-Carb lifestyle?  

I am on Atkins Maintenence right now, after losing over 75lbs, but am not expecting my next cycle until Sept. of next year (2005), so I will not know until then whether or not my low carb lifestyle is a factor on my ch's.

Quote:
Posted by: miapet Posted on: Jun 20th, 2004, 2:53pm  
Well, I know that Atkins, and other low-carb diets have helped people lose weight . . .but I don't believe it is a healthy practice to cut entire food groups out of our diet.  If the diet specified cutting out refined-carbs and keeping complex carbs, it would be healthier . ..  
just my 2cents  
miapet  

Quote:
Posted by: BobG Posted on: Jun 20th, 2004, 3:04pm  
I have to agree with miapet. Cutting out an important part of a healthy diet is unwise. Ever seen a person that has practiced vegetarianism for 20 years? They look like they've been dead for 10 years. Same will happen on the low carb diet.  

And IMHO, the Atkins diet is a dangerous rip off sold by the surviving relatives of a fat, dead doctor (doctor of what? I have no idea.) And food sellers have jumped on the scam-wagon with labeling "Low Carb" on products that have always been low carb.  

Obviously neither of you have read Dr. Atkins book.  First of all, to maintain on Atkins for life, you do not "cut out entire food groups".  When you're in maintenance, like I am, you eat meat, fish, fowl, low glycemic fruits & vegetables, and whole grains.  No sugar, starches or white flour.  Please don't generalize on something you have little knowledge about.  It can be offensive to those of us who have read the plan, understand it and follow it.  Anyways, I am not going to sit here and explain each level of Atkins to either of you (such as the 1st phase has you cutting out ALL grains, but that is for only 2 weeks, NOT the whole time...helloooo) because you can read up on it yourselves.

take care,
Smileymel
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2004, 3:20pm by Melissa » IP Logged
chrismo
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 22nd, 2004, 3:18am »

YEAH!!! Grin i did not want to go into it, but Im glad you did! It really can be very offensive when people bash Atkins, when it is one of the most positive changes I have made to my life. At least read Dr Atkin's New Diet Revoltion before even saying ANYTHING about low-carb lifestyles. It has made such awesome change in my life that when people bash it, its like they are bashing every bit of hard work I have done. Not only am I thin, healthy, and handsome, I am Ch free Smiley What more could  a guy ask for?
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 22nd, 2004, 8:28pm »

Quote:
And IMHO, the Atkins diet is a dangerous rip off sold by the surviving relatives of a fat, dead doctor (doctor of what? I have no idea.)

He wasn't fat - He was under 200 pounds until he went into the hospital with a head injury.  While in a coma, he retained water and gained 65 pounds - not a rare event in the critical care ward.  Look at the film footage of him on TV in the year before his death - he was normal weight and high energy.  

On the other hand, 1) Theres no evidence that weight reduction diets help with clusters, 2) some anecdotal evidence from this board suggests that weight loss diets (and high protein diets in particular) may make clusters worse.  Increased nitrogen from protein could up nitric oxide levels, which isn't good for trying to prevent CH.
IP Logged
klp
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

sigpig  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 14th, 2004, 11:37pm »

I started Atkins almost 2 years ago and had a bad cycle 3 weeks after starting. However this cycle has been great. A few (about 5 shadows) in a month. Granted i started my meds early so that may have helped but i do believe the low carb, specifically no sugar has helped. Hope I'm not jinking myself here i've enjoyed the pfd's. Good luck. P.S. 86#'s down!
IP Logged
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 1:27am »

on Jun 17th, 2004, 9:03am, thomas wrote:
Only time will tell, sometimes people "skip" a cycle.

I agree. You may have just skipped a cycle or it is late or changing. It has nothing to do with diets. (My opinion & many other experts). I don't doubt that the mushroom therapy has helped though.

Celebrate the PF times !

Unsolved
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 1:36am »

Here is an interesting tidbit to add to this....

I'll preface this with the fact that many of us have been on "anti-seizure" meds as preventatives for our Friend.

Anyway,

There are individuals who have seizure disorders that go on Ketogenic diets (Identical to Atkins) to control activity.
For some reason when your body is in ketosis certain activity decreases.  

This is all done without meds.

Who knows?? and why not??

I certainly don't have the will power to even make myself eat at appropriate times or at all for that matter.
You can only eat at specific times and that is it with the diet.  

I had a student who's seizures were so out of control that evrything he would learn would essentuially eb erased. It was this state of constantly going back to baseline.
Well this diet got the seizures under control and intern he has learned and maintained skills.

I don't know what it means abd I certainly am not pushing anything but... why not?? If the meds can work that way, why couldn't Atkins???

Just a thought,
Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
floridian

Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 9:31am »

on Aug 15th, 2004, 1:36am, E-Double wrote:

There are individuals who have seizure disorders that go on Ketogenic diets (Identical to Atkins) to control activity.
For some reason when your body is in ketosis certain activity decreases.  

You're right, the ketogenic diet is good for some people to control their epilepsy and certain other siezures.  But I think there are some differences between Atkins and ketogenic diets - they could overlap, but a ketogenic diet has 60% or more of calories from fat and not as much protein as Atkins.  Also, for some reason, the keto diet is more effective in children and youth than adults.  
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 9:44am »

on Aug 15th, 2004, 9:31am, floridian wrote:

You're right, the ketogenic diet is good for some people to control their epilepsy and certain other siezures.  But I think there are some differences between Atkins and ketogenic diets - they could overlap, but a ketogenic diet has 60% or more of calories from fat and not as much protein as Atkins.  Also, for some reason, the keto diet is more effective in children and youth than adults.  

some how I knew I would catch your ATTN: Floridian.. Wink

Thanks for that one, the ketogenic diet is used more with children to my knowledge as well.

Not sure about all of the differences though...
Definitely intersting and I'm sure you could find some intersting empirical data on it somewhere re: CH.
Such a wealth of knowledge dude!!!

Gotta ask.... what do you do for a living?? research based? scientific??

Appreciate all the abstracts and articles you post!!!

Best and hope all is well and safe down south!

Eric
IP Logged

Space in-between them
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #15 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 9:45am »

Interesting thread!  I'm not a proponent of the Atkins diet from a health care worker standpoint, but I won't bash people who want to try it and do have success with the weight loss.  I worked in clinical nutrition for 3 years, so we learned a lot about diets and all kinds of things that people do to lose weight.  My method of choice is generally just to cut the junk food, follow the food pyramid but reduce the total caloric intake, and exercise more.  My dad lost almost 100 pounds that way I do believe.  I recently lost about 10 pounds that way, but I didn't need to lose like my dad did!  My mom has also lost weight that way.  They both look great!

I really don't think dieting has helped my CH at all, but it has helped me feel better in other ways, which I think is nice.  Also, where I'm coming from...I cannot cannot cannot cut out sugar.  First off, I love fruit...I cannot go like more than 2 hours without some kind of fruit juice or piece of fruit.  Also, if I do not get the carbs into me throughout the day...I become extremely moody and someone that nobody wants to be around!  My roommate is the exact same way.

W/respect to the ketogenic diet, I do think that is great that it can help people control their epilepsy and such.  However, I'd be careful with that one!  Ketosis isn't exactly a state of "health."

But ultimately...whatever helps you stay pain free whether it is diet, the "alternative treatment", meds, whatever...sounds good to me!!!  Glad to hear you are PF.

Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

farmboy
New Board Veteran
USA 

In Cycle and in Pain

« Reply #16 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 10:33am »

Hey Folks i used the Moraine O'sullivan diet.  
This cycle was shorter and less painful  than usual.  I think cutting out  the ex- wife and her 3 messed up children really helped.  

Damn i feel better.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #17 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 11:13am »

on Aug 15th, 2004, 10:33am, farmboy wrote:
Hey Folks i used the Moraine O'sullivan diet.  
This cycle was shorter and less painful  than usual.  I think cutting out  the ex- wife and her 3 messed up children really helped.      

Damn i feel better.

IP Logged

Space in-between them
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #18 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 12:16pm »

Hello Chrismo

Atkins and other low-carb diets have been discussed on here a few times.

Usual story, some people felt it improved things Ch-wise, some found no difference at all, so it may all be coincidence.

On a personal level, I do my own bastardised version of Atkins which works for me (when I get round to doing it Embarassed) and is simply leaving in the carbohydrates from the berries, green veg and salad veg and cutting out every single other carbohydrate. I still lose weight very consistently but don't get any of the side effects (breath, constipation, headaches, tiredness etc)
I also don't eat as much of the fats as you are allowed, but mainly because I can't face that much fat.

Wendy
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2004, 12:17pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #19 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 12:17pm »

Actually, I have read up on Atikins, as well as many other diets and lifestyle changes.  I could, very probably, teach a nutrition class.  I have little or no problem with the maint section of atkins, although I don't like the higher fat content of the diet.  IMHO, a balanced low-fat, low/no refined carbs, cutting salt, and knowing what an actual serving size is (which will reduce caloric intake) is what all people should do, it's just healthier than most people's diets.  
I have changed D's eating habits, but not due to his CH, due to his BP, and using the 'style' I mentioned, we have his BP in the normal range.
Anyway, whatever works for people.  
btw, didn't Atkins die of a heart attack or something similar?
miapet
edit:  should say, naturally low-fat (not the packaged stuff that says 'low-fat' since they usually add sugar etc to make it tastier, or it tastes nasty *g*)
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2004, 6:46pm by miapet » IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
kimh
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

What don't kill ya makes ya stronger

Email

« Reply #20 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 3:59pm »

i thought atkins died by slipping and falling on an icy sidewalk.... Undecided

i've been cutting fat and carbs (not eliminating either) since the last Holiday bloat binge (last winter).  Missed the March/April cycle but bombs away in June.

no idea...... but eating healthy makes you healthier.  Exercise and good eating habits are always a plus***
IP Logged
farmboy
New Board Veteran
USA 

In Cycle and in Pain

« Reply #21 on: Aug 15th, 2004, 7:37pm »

Hey E-Double,

The best part on the Moraine O'sullivan diet it only cost me 365.00 bucks.  The only area where i had gained some weight on that diet was after a few months i noticed my wallet was a little heavier.
IP Logged
Virginia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

v49acosta  

« Reply #22 on: Aug 16th, 2004, 2:06pm »

I've been doing the South Beach Diet for about 3 months now which I highly recommend.  It's about good carbs vs bad carbs and good fats vs bad fats.   Unfortunately, no difference in my headaches but I have lost 30 lbs so far.
IP Logged

The Clusterhead formerly known as 9erfan.
marfanoidus
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

marfanoidus  
Email

« Reply #23 on: Aug 16th, 2004, 3:35pm »

Just a few things I would like to add:

1) Dr. Atkins died after falling on ice and hitting his head on a sidewalk. He did have cardiomyopathy, which caused him to have cardiac arrest at one point, but it wasn't due to his diet.

2) Ketosis only means your body is burning fat for energy instead of carbohydrates. Your brain kicks into ketosis mode as soon as the carbohydrate/glycogen stores in your body are exhausted.

3) I would like to suggest we all remain open to the possibility that some of us may suffer CHs due to food allergies. If we happen to remove a food from our diet which causes CHs... My previous two cycles stopped dead in their tracks when I stopped eating peanuts and bologna.

4) Let us not forget that medical science has yet to even scrath the surface in understanding all that happens inside the human brain, so is it possible that some food-intake-modifications (ie, diets) may have some neuro effects? Of course it is.

blah blah blah, I'm tired of hearing my own thoughts.
good luck to all
IP Logged

Sometimes "What doesn't kill you" makes you wish it had.
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #24 on: Aug 16th, 2004, 4:37pm »

on Aug 16th, 2004, 3:35pm, marfanoidus wrote:
Just a few things I would like to add:

1) Dr. Atkins died after falling on ice and hitting his head on a sidewalk. He did have cardiomyopathy, which caused him to have cardiac arrest at one point, but it wasn't due to his diet.

2) Ketosis only means your body is burning fat for energy instead of carbohydrates. Your brain kicks into ketosis mode as soon as the carbohydrate/glycogen stores in your body are exhausted.

3) I would like to suggest we all remain open to the possibility that some of us may suffer CHs due to food allergies. If we happen to remove a food from our diet which causes CHs... My previous two cycles stopped dead in their tracks when I stopped eating peanuts and bologna.

4) Let us not forget that medical science has yet to even scrath the surface in understanding all that happens inside the human brain, so is it possible that some food-intake-modifications (ie, diets) may have some neuro effects? Of course it is.

blah blah blah, I'm tired of hearing my own thoughts.
good luck to all

OK, I'll stay opento the possibility of food... But when you stopped eating peanuts, why did the hot dogs and bologna not matter? Then once you stopped both and ch went away, why are they back?

Personally I could believe that certain foods could act as a trigger, but I'll never be convinced that food is a cause.
IP Logged

Chris
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss