Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 8:34am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « NO help! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   NO help!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: NO help!  (Read 395 times)
kimmiedawn81
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stuck in the middle with you!

kimmiedawn8199   kimmiedawn21

NO help!
« on: Jun 14th, 2004, 2:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, I went to a new neurologist today, the result was very frustrating.  I told him all of the prescriptions that I had taken in the past and the ones I am on now and he told me basically that I was screwed and I'm a part of a minority of cluster headache sufferers who have nothing that helps them.  I'm 22 years old and he said that my clusters may get better when I go through menopause.  I can't wait that long, I fear that I will commit suicide by then.  If anyone has any thoughts or comments, please let me know, I'm open for any suggestions at all.
~Kim
IP Logged

Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

Re: NO help!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 2:46pm »

Goto another neuro....

What are your past andd present meds?
IP Logged

Chris
kimmiedawn81
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 2:50pm »

Right now I'm on Verapamil, Inderal LA, and Lithium.  I have taken Elavil, Neurontin, etc.  As far as abortives go, I have taken Imitrex NS and pills, Zomig NS and pills, Maxalt, I tried O2, but I did not have the non breather mask.  It's hard for me to take pills as abortives b/c I throw up a lot when one comes on.  I'm at the end of my rope.  
By the way, the doc wrote me a script for Topamax 25mg bid.  Haven't picked it up yet, no insurance, kinda scared to see the price.
IP Logged

Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #3 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 3:24pm »

You don't actually have to use a rebreather mask. You just have to flood your body with as much O2 as fast as possible. I use a welding tank and regulator with a 1/2" hose that allows me to suck as much O2 as i can possibly breathe very quickly, and I can normally knock a headache out in less than 5 minutes.
I don't have insurance either.... So the welding O2 is a much cheaper option. About $200 for the tank/regulator and hose, and $18 to refill an E tank which will kill about 20 headaches.

Did you ask about imitrex injections or are you still nervous about using them?

O2 (if you get enough of it...) and the injections are your best options for abortives.

The topomax works pretty well for some people.

PM me if you want more info on how to get O2 the easy way. I just about guarantee I can teach you how to kill headaches in a heartbeat.
IP Logged

Chris
kimmiedawn81
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 3:26pm »

how do I pm you?
IP Logged

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 3:27pm »

I would try a different neurologist.  If that doesn't help, then you might look at  

http://www.clusterbusters.com

There have been many people that have taken this route with great success.

Gator
IP Logged
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 3:27pm »

Have you tried any home remedies?  Some of us had success with melatonin one hour before bedtime.  I believe between 3mg - 15mg for clusterheads.  I've had luck at 9mg.  This in combination with B-complex 50 mg X 3 a day.  Perhaps some 5-HTP 50's two or three times a day.  Throw in a multi-vitamin.  Some green and black tea 3-5 times a day.

Please note, that I am NOT prescribing medication to you only relating what has help me in the past to some degree (as well as others).  5-HTP can not be taken along with some types of prescription medication...read warning on internet.

All of the above is readily available at GNC or other vitamin stores.  I hope you have relief soon.

You can purchase a non-rebreather mask on the internet cheap:

http://www.medco-school.com/Fast/Product.asp?leaf_id=64041&Section=4 2&Subsection=299

http://www.jlenterprise.com/nrbmx.html

Regards,

John
IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 4:41pm »

Still not certain why everyone insists on seeing a neuro.  I take my shopping list from here to the GP with excellent results.  I suppose it depends on how comfortable one is with their GP.

Wrokk, with the kickass GP

IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 4:56pm »

Quote:
Posted by: Rock_Lobster Posted on: Today at 4:41pm  
Still not certain why everyone insists on seeing a neuro.  I take my shopping list from here to the GP with excellent results.  I suppose it depends on how comfortable one is with their GP.

Me either Rock.........one more year with the mushrooms and I can fire both of them!  Grin

John

IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 5:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jun 14th, 2004, 4:41pm, Rock_Lobster wrote:

Wrokk, with the kickass GP

Because I have to have a nuero write my scripts for zomig, since I require more than the alloted amount.
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 6:27pm »

on Jun 14th, 2004, 5:08pm, thomas wrote:

Because I have to have a nuero write my scripts for zomig, since I require more than the alloted amount.

Additionally, it would be foolish and dangerous to treat CH if you don't actually have it.  Neuros are not necessarily great at diagnosing CH, but they look out for other indicators.

Also, an E tank provides enough O2 for 5 hits for me.  The fifth hit is a little short at 15 lpm for 13 minutes.  Even at that flow and duration, my success rate with it is only 30% at best.

YMMV

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
thomas

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 6:35pm »

on Jun 14th, 2004, 6:27pm, Prense wrote:

Additionally, it would be foolish and dangerous to treat CH if you don't actually have it.

WHAMMMO!!!!!!!!  Well said, brother.  That is the truth.  Grin
IP Logged
jonny

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 7:08pm »

on Jun 14th, 2004, 6:27pm, Prense wrote:
Additionally, it would be foolish and dangerous to treat CH if you don't actually have it.  

Grin
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #13 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 7:21pm »

You might try getting some help at Barnes jewish Hospital next to George Washington University. My mom had brain surgery there and they have an excellent neuro dept. That's one of the finest hospitals in the world and I know they MUST have a good cluster doc there...
IP Logged

Chris
Ueli

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 9:22pm »

Kim, run, don't walk!!!

A doctor who prescribes at the same time calcium channel blockers (Verapamil) and beta blockers (Propranolol(Inderal)) is playing with your life!

From the  Drug Interaction Checker at Drugs.com:

propranolol and verapamil (major Drug-Drug)  
Description:  
MONITOR CLOSELY: Additive reductions in heart rate, cardiac conduction, and cardiac contractility may occur when calcium channel blockers, especially verapamil and diltiazem, are used concomitantly with beta blockers. While this combination may be useful and effective in some situations, potentially serious cardiovascular adverse effects such as congestive heart failure, severe hypotension, and/or exacerbation of angina may occur....

Get another doctor ASAP.

PFNADs
Ueli                 smokin

IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #15 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 9:44pm »

on Jun 14th, 2004, 5:08pm, thomas wrote:

Amen brother.  With my insurance a GP can only write for 6 Zomig NS per month.  A neuro can give me as many as I want.  I now get 30.  The insurance companies are out to screw everyone else over, it's kind of nice to use their own rules against them for a change.  

Gator
IP Logged
justin
New Board Veteran
USA 

what it is...

jdo201
WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Jun 21st, 2004, 5:37pm »

yeah first thing, new doc. then i would ask about verapamil instead of the inderal. imitrex injections have probably saved my life. nothing aborts an attack like those injections, but they are expensive. insurance will cover anywhere from 8-12 injections a month. not always enough so my neuro gives me plenty of samples when i come by and will always get me more if i need. also the O2 is good for the weak ones since you can only take two imitrexes in a day anyway. and i think you said you never tried depakote, right? it's had a lot of success for people.
IP Logged

if any clusterheads in NYC want to get together shoot me an email justinott@mac.com
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jun 29th, 2004, 10:24pm »

o2 o2 o2

As for the depakote . . I'm always amazed at the use of this drug.  Depakote works on the frontal lobe . . .and since the hypothalmus isn't located in the frontal lobe, I don't see how it works?
*positive light and energy*
miapet
eidt:  as for the no insurance part . . .your doc should have forms (or can ask the drug rep for some) that he/she fills out with you, and sends in to the drug company . . .sometimes the drug company will supply meds for you . . .not always, but it's worth a try.
*pl&e*
miapet
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2004, 10:25pm by miapet » IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss