Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 2:23am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Strokes »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Strokes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Strokes  (Read 349 times)
ed

Email

Strokes
« on: Jun 12th, 2004, 3:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My husband has been suffering with cluster headaches for over 30 years.  They have gone from episodic to chronic over the last couple of years. Last week the doctor told him, he had suffered a minor stroke. The doctor seemed to believe the cluster headaches & stroke are all interconnected.  Has anyone ever heard of clusters & strokes being related in any way?
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

Re: Strokes
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12th, 2004, 4:11pm »

ed

The only proven link I know of between the common headache types and stroke is a very specific kind of migraine called BAM, basilar arterial migraine where a blood vessel in the base of the skull supplying the the brain constricts and restricts the flow of blood to the brain. This can cause ischaematic attacks or strokes, risk worsened by the use of triptans

There is no link shown as yet that I have seen between CH and stroke so I suspect this link you have been told about is supposition on the doctor's part rather than being based on any evidence.  

In other words, Did Ch cause the stroke? Not as far as anyone knows. Ch sufferers have no known increased risk of stroke.

Wendy
IP Logged
ed

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 12th, 2004, 5:17pm »

Thank you.  Do you think that the use of nasal Stadol could cause a stroke?
IP Logged
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 12th, 2004, 10:06pm »

on Jun 12th, 2004, 5:17pm, ed wrote:
Thank you.  Do you think that the use of nasal Stadol could cause a stroke?

No, but I don't think anybody really knows what causes strokes other than high blood pressure, It could have been caused by a cup of coffee who knows.

Sorry your having to deal with this and your husband recovers.

Lee  
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2004, 10:07pm by forgetful » IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13th, 2004, 2:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thought I read somewhere that migraines and CH could play a factor in strokes...

I'll have to take a peek.
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 13th, 2004, 3:45am »

Prense

I think you'll find that there is a suggested link between migraine and stroke in young women, but since quite high up on the list of stroke factors (below hypertension of course, this is the big risk one) is hormone imbalances, and since many young women's migraines are caused by hormone imbalances, this might another "chicken and egg" situation.

I did quite a lot of digging around on this subject when a close friend of mine had a serious stroke and was told by her doctor that her migraine caused it. It turned out to be what I believe was an unforgiveable smokescreen as three weeks before the stroke the same doctor had taken her off her BP tablets and HRT on the same day without tapering and then didn't monitor her.

If people fear they may be at risk for stroke the main advice is to change lifestyle habits e.g. exercise, diet and smoking.

Wendy
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 13th, 2004, 10:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You are correct Wendy...I was mistaken.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss