Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 2:07am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « CH Q&A in Sunday paper »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   CH Q&A in Sunday paper
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CH Q&A in Sunday paper  (Read 256 times)
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

CH Q&A in Sunday paper
« on: Jun 7th, 2004, 2:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I saw this in our Sunday St Louis Post Dispatch under one of those "Ask the Dr" articles.  
I guess it's a good thing that they're talking about CH's but I'm not so sure I like the Dr's answers. He doesn't mention Verapamil as a preventative or a non-rebreather mask for o2 Huh  
------------------------------------------------------------------------  
Cluster headaches may call for preventive treatment
By Dr. Paul Donohue
06/06/2004

Dear Dr. Donohue: I suffer from cluster headaches. I have been to doctors, and they offer no help. I tried oxygen with no luck. Everyone talks about migraine headaches but never cluster headaches.  

Cluster headaches occur on one side of the head and usually behind an eye. They produce fierce pain and often come on during sleep. Many times the nostril on the side of the headache drips, and the eye on that side waters.  

These headaches can wake their victims, who jump out of bed to frantically pace the floor in an attempt to get rid of the pain. This is the exact opposite of migraine sufferers, who seek a quiet, dark place to relieve their headaches. The pain lasts 30 to 60 minutes.  

Cluster headaches recur from twice to six or more times in 24 hours. That's the "cluster" in their name. They can occur daily for weeks or months and then suddenly fade away for months or years before resuming.  

There are many ways to treat cluster headaches. Oxygen is one of them. It should be delivered through an airtight mask, and you have to breathe it for 10 to 15 minutes. Imitrex, a migraine medicine, is also used for cluster headaches, and it comes as a nasal spray or as a self-administered injection. Those routes make for a quick response.  

Have you tried preventive treatment? Here are some medicines to take when you don't have a headache to keep one from happening: Calan, a heart and blood pressure medicine; Neurontin; lithium; and Amerge.  

IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

Re: CH Q&A in Sunday paper
« Reply #1 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 2:14pm »

Calan is verapamil.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 2:18pm »

on Jun 7th, 2004, 2:14pm, Bob P wrote:
Calan is verapamil.
I had a Chinese neurologist a few years back.  It was hillarious to listen to him try to pronounce verapamil.  He'd fumble with the name 2 or 3 times and then say, "Aw, Calan".
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 2:34pm »

on Jun 7th, 2004, 2:14pm, Bob P wrote:
Calan is verapamil.

Thanks Bob, I didn't know that...duh me.

Jim
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss