Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 6:57pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Cycle Prevention ??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Cycle Prevention ???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cycle Prevention ???  (Read 454 times)
miarella
New Board Newbie
Chile 

Email

Cycle Prevention ???
« on: Jun 6th, 2004, 4:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all,

After 10 years I as finally diagnosed with CH. That was back in Dec. Neuromagician put me on prednisone+verapamil+amitryptiline, which ended instanctly with the cycle.

Then he said "come back in march so we can figure out when is your next cycle coming and put you again on antidepressants and/or prednisone before it begins"

Now, my cycles dont follow a seasonal pattern and i suspect they are somehow induced by stressful periods, but there is no way i can predict them, aside of knowing i have 1.5 to 2.5 years of pain free time between them. I told that to my neuro, but he ignored me (so strange, that never happens with docs lol)

So, my question is: Has anybody heard of or has had successful experiences in trying to prevent cycles ?? I mean not preventing the ha when you in cycle, but preventing the cycle itself ??

Thanks to all and have a nice pain free day,

miarella
IP Logged
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Cycle Prevention ???
« Reply #1 on: Jun 6th, 2004, 4:40pm »

Cycle Prevention:

I did with mushrooms........only a few small shadows then gone.  My cycles are regular and predictable.

John.....still pf
  www.clusterbusters.com

IP Logged
miarella
New Board Newbie
Chile 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 6th, 2004, 4:57pm »

Well, thanks John, but I dont think that's a suitable option for me. I'd rather stick to the legal stuff (here where I live at least). I really don't need to add more worries to my head.

Anyway, i appreciate your comment

miarella
IP Logged
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 6th, 2004, 5:06pm »

There's NO sure fire way to prevent cycles. You may get lucky with timing and meds ... but that's what it would be...luck.

Unsolved

The beast is too unpredictable !
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 6th, 2004, 8:01pm »

Quote:
Posted by: miarella  
Well, thanks John, but I dont think that's a suitable option for me. I'd rather stick to the legal stuff (here where I live at least). I really don't need to add more worries to my head.

Bottom line is that I'm pain free after spending tens of thousands of dollars on legal prescripton medications that did not work.

When you find something that works, please advise and I'll switch.

John
IP Logged
Pegase
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Hit the Road Jack...

« Reply #5 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 1:12pm »

Verapimil is a good preventive... for meWink

Pegase
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #6 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 2:24pm »

As far as I know there has been no sure fire way to predict the arrival of cycles that are not seasonal like yours, and like those of a goodly number of people here.

As far as I know, again, there has been only one means of preventing a cycle - shrooms indeed.
If you want to go another way and Vera works for you (as it did for me)  you may think of Oxygen (look at the link to the left) to bridge the gap till Verapamil kicks in.

To bridge the gap between first pain and a doc appointment...  you might bother your doc for a prescripion for  Vera and get the drugstore to give you some from the most recent  batch, which will last the longest.  Enquire after best ways of keeping it.

Or, if they do things like that where you live (they do in this country) you can ask for a prescription in installments, so that you can get the stuff in when needed. Or lodge the script with the drugstore if they are dependable.

Last, not least, very, VERY few here relate a new episode to stress; though they might relate it to the ending of stress. It is the let-up after a hard time that can trigger cycles for  a number of people.

good luck anyway
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
miarella
New Board Newbie
Chile 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 8th, 2004, 3:57pm »

Thanks a ton for all your responses.

Especially to ave, you pretty much solved my problem. I haven't returned to my neuro because after all I have read about prednisone, I am definitely not taking it 'just in case', to see if I get lucky as Unsolved said. I understand amitryptiline does not have nasty side effects, but i am not much of a fan of taking pills out of nothing (well, almost nothing)

So asking for a Verapamil free pass seems perfect to me. Also, my first choice for the next episode (hoping that it never comes of course) will be oxygen. Actually, I dont know why my neuro did not prescribe it in the first place. Maybe he saw my cluster-face and thought I was going to come back and bang his head with my oxigen tank if it was not working....

About stress, I relate the cluster bouts to the ending of a stress period, but it usually starts when I am still stressed out. I ve never had them the while I am on vacation for instance.  

By the way, I remember during the last cycle I had all the attacks in the morning, 10 mins after waking up. But one day it was 3pm and I received a very upsetting phone call. And boom!!!! 10 mins later a kip5 started. So at least I know stress can act as a trigger for me when in cycle

Tickles to all,

miarella
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss