Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 1:49am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « what i got prescribed »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   what i got prescribed
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: what i got prescribed  (Read 400 times)
OLLY
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

if anyone says "hayfever " i will scream

what i got prescribed
« on: Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

just been to doctors got prescibed porpranolol for 2 months has this been of any use to any one else
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

Re: what i got prescribed
« Reply #1 on: Jun 3rd, 2004, 1:22pm »

propranolol is generic for Inderal.  It's a beta blocker.  Usually used to treat migraines.  Some clusterheads have had some suceess with it but it's not one of the normal treatments for clusters.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Dave_W
New Board Junior

Pain Free Days!!!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 3rd, 2004, 1:23pm »

Hi Olly,

That's a beta-blocker, known more commonly as Inderal.  It's very effective against migraines but from what I've heard it is sort of uncommon for beta blockers to prevent CH.  Did your doc give you a diagnosis to go along with the prescription?

Wishing you pain free days...

Old Dave
IP Logged

Old Decrepit Dave
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 3rd, 2004, 1:50pm »

Beat ya to it Dave.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 3rd, 2004, 8:11pm »

on Jun 3rd, 2004, 1:23pm, Dave_W wrote:
Did your doc give you a diagnosis to go along with the prescription?

Good question...
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
buckeyescooter
New Board Veteran
USA 

Screw Fear!

« Reply #5 on: Jun 4th, 2004, 12:25am »

I got prescribed that once...didn't do much for my clusters but made me incredibly calm onstage, and at auditions....I told my neuro this and he said it's nickname was the stage fright drug. No lie. I think a lot of beta blockers fall into this category. Mood stabilizers. Be sure to let your doc know right away if it's not working for you Olly. Welcome.
IP Logged

Clusterheads are a rare breed.
OLLY
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #6 on: Jun 4th, 2004, 2:48am »

Thanks all for your replies     doctor only took blood pressure as i got diagnosed 10 years ago but was helpful and said to go back it problem persists   and yea i remember last time i was on them became a master at chess lol Cheesy
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Suggested info sources
« Reply #7 on: Jun 4th, 2004, 8:02am »

I wonder if you doc is up to date on treating cluster. This med is so out of date as a standard treatment. Suggest you do some homework so that you can ask for more currently recognized treatments.

Suggest either the second or third titles:

HANDBOOK OF HEADACHE MANAGEMENT, 2nd ed., Au. Joel Saper, MD, 1999, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. A highly condensed volume for doctors but good for "advanced" clusterheads who have a grasp of medical terminology and medications. Covers all types of headache with the section on cluster being brief. Sections on general considerations in treatment and on medications are important.

MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $49 at Amazon.Com. This volume is better organized and easier to read for nonprofessionals compared to Saper's book. It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book...."Wink

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.

Explore this excellent site: www.headachedrugs.com operated by doctor who operates a good headache clinic.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 4th, 2004, 2:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Easier to refer your GP to their own prescribing bible the BNF which they all have in all surgeries in the UK.

The most recent edition has a section on Cluster Headache treatment which will tell him what to give you.

You can see it for yourself on
http://www.bnf.org/bnf/bnf/current/noframes/106533.htm

Haven't seen you at OUCH UK yet!

Wendy
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 4th, 2004, 3:16pm »

This was one of the first drugs my dr had me try.  It did nothing for my ch.  I would recomend you try verapamil if this doesn't work.  Good luck!
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
OLLY
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #10 on: Jun 5th, 2004, 5:33am »

thanks for all that your all fight i think just had the worst attack of ch yet 4.30 am to 10.00 nightmare will be back at docs monday
 Undecided
IP Logged
buckeyescooter
New Board Veteran
USA 

Screw Fear!

« Reply #11 on: Jun 6th, 2004, 1:18am »

Sorry you're having such a rough go Olly....make sure when you see the doc that he gives you a good abortive along with the preventative. Just in case you don't know, by abortive I mean something like Zomig or Imitrex Inhaler, or possibly a prednisone taper starting at 80 mgs. and tapering down. These drugs will hopefully stop a cluster in it's tracks and give the preventative , whatever that may be, time to work it's way into your system. Obviously, if you've had bad experiences with any of these don't take my advice. Also ask about oxygen, many people including myself have benefited greatly from o2 at the onset of a headache. You need a non rebreather mask and very high flow rate....between 10-15 LPM. I can't remember what that stands for....maybe one of my brethren will help us out. Is it liters per minute? Anyway Olly, check in next week....let us know how you're doing.
IP Logged

Clusterheads are a rare breed.
OLLY
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #12 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 12:14pm »

just got back from docs took me off beta blockers and put me on verapamil and    rizatripan melts and codine for pain relief which is a bummer cus i cant drink now Undecided
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 2:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Your Doc is getting closer but he is still off track.

Maxalt may help some but the codiene will cause you rebounds and maybe even a nice little addiction to go with it.

Read up on current effective medications and bring that education to the Doc.

What dosage of verap did he Rx?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss