Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 25th, 2024, 11:32pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « meds vs. oxygen »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   meds vs. oxygen
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: meds vs. oxygen  (Read 252 times)
tannero
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

meds vs. oxygen
« on: May 30th, 2004, 11:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Haven't posted much but I read all the time.  
Thanks to this place I learned how to correctly use oxygen about a year ago and it has stopped the clusters since.  I have been able to catch them before they got control.
My questioin is, "Has anyone been able to stop the meds, mine are Lithium and Verapamil twice daily,  and controll the beast with just oxygen?"  At times I think I can tell when I am in a cluster but other times one will strike right out of the blue.  I am going to see my neuro next week.  She will just tell me to stay on the meds and stop drinking and smoking.  
Just wondering if anyone here had any advice.

Thanks
tannero
IP Logged
FZfan
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Not Insane

Email

Re: meds vs. oxygen
« Reply #1 on: May 30th, 2004, 1:01pm »

I have done that, but in my case it was easier because I haven't found any prevents that work for me, although I haven't tried the verapamil/lithium cocktail.

Like you, I learned how to use o2 correctly when I found this site. In my case, o2 completely aborts about 80% of my attacks, but it doesn't abort all of them. So for me the decision boiled down to - do I want to take meds all the time for the two out of ten attacks that o2 doesn't abort, or do I go med free and just tough out the few that o2 doesn't help. I chose the later.  

This has been discussed many times just in the short time I have been here. Going with o2 only is not a choice everyone can make because everyone's situation is different. Not only that, but your cycle can change too, so while it was easy to go with o2 alone this time, maybe it won't work so well next time. You just never know with this beast.

For myself, I decided that, for a six week cycle, I can live with suffering through 20% of the attacks if it means not taking any meds. If that percentage rises, though, I would certainly talk to my doc about some of the other preventative strategies I've learned about here that I haven't tried yet.

Drinking is a big no-no for me. But smoking may or may not be a factor. There are some who smoking is a trigger for, but there are also some (me included) who claim smoking actually helps in dealing with clusters. I actually smoke more during a cycle.

The one problem that remains when using o2 only is, there is still the matter of the 2am wake-up call. So sleep disruption is still a problem for me during a cycle. Again, this is something I have chosen to live with in return for not taking meds.

Quote:
control the beast with just oxygen?"  

The key word there is control. What defines control of the beast for you.  

If you're episodic, and you're already into you're cycle, I think dropping your meds and trying o2 only is a viable strategy. The worst that happens is, it doesn't work and you suffer some to find that out. Fortunately your cycle will be ending soon, so why not give it a try? Especially if side-effects from meds are a problem.
IP Logged

There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it. - FZ
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 30th, 2004, 7:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Tannero

I'm the same as FZfan, I use only 02, and keep my Imigran purely for the few attacks that for some reason 02 doesn't work for or for use if I am abroad.

I occasionally use triptans as a mop up for 02 rebounds, but other than that I try and steer clear of any drugs at all as I have a personal belief (no medical evidence whatever) that long term drug use just makes CH worse.
I also feel (weird idea this I know) that there will be the same number of attacks whatever I do, so preventing them just delays the inevitable and prolongs the cycle.
I therefore just hit each attack as it arrives and pray for the end of the cycle

Wendy

None of this is scientific of course, just personal.

IP Logged
andy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 30th, 2004, 7:57pm »

on May 30th, 2004, 7:08pm, pubgirl wrote:
Tannero

I'm the same as FZfan, I use only 02, and keep my Imigran purely for the few attacks that for some reason 02 doesn't work for or for use if I am abroad.

None of this is scientific of course, just personal.

I have relatively short cycles because  i dont use prevents...just 02, and imitrex inj. for the bad ones.

..........andy
IP Logged
notseinfeld
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Enough is Enough.        Vote Libertarian

krilldocument  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: May 31st, 2004, 1:53pm »

As a chronic I gave up all meds and saw great reduction in duration, severity, and frequency using only 02. I'm gonna guess that you're chronic as well b/c a Verap/Lithium combo wouldn't (or shouldn't) be given to an episodic.  

I shudder to recommend dropping your meds but just offer my experience as a possible outcome. Had been on some form of drug for 3 years mixing and matching, as you know. Finally about 6 months ago I thought "if I'm gonna feel like hell even when I'm not in an attack, what's the point?"  

So I basically dropped all the prevents & abortives and only used o2--well, and lots of coffee. Very glad I did. Still have triggers of Alcohol & Television but generally been feeling much better.  

best of luck,  
nots
IP Logged

-----------Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. ---------------------
kissmyglass
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Don't Mix Triptans

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 31st, 2004, 6:51pm »

I tried O2 only a while back.  I weened myself off Verap & tried not to use Imitrex & only use O2....I found that O2 would only delay the attack instead of actualy abort it like Imitrex would do. After aborting with O2 I would get attacked again in an hour. Abortig with Imitrex I wouldn't get attacked until the next scheduled one.

All I can say now is thank god for Lithium & Verap. & the great people on this board for giving me the wisdom....

Kev
IP Logged

"It does so fucking look like her" - Picasso
[img][/img]
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss