Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 5:44am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Any Home Remedies? Help... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Any Home Remedies? Help...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Any Home Remedies? Help...  (Read 354 times)
num1eye
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Any Home Remedies? Help...
« on: May 28th, 2004, 1:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am a newbe here on the board so please bear with me. I have suffered from CH's for five years.  I get them at the same time of year and at first they lasted for about a week but over the years they have increased to three or more weeks.  I am now as of Wednesday on prenisone which my Dr. wants to try for a week.  He claims that it should knock the cluster out by next week and I should be fine for my vacation.  My question is does anyone have any home remedies that help with the pain.  I do not like to take drugs if I do not have to but I thought someone might know of something that helps when they either start or get going full blast.  Again thank you for whatever info you can give and I am truely sorry for anyone who has to live with these all the time.  I am sure one day there will be a cure.
Wayne Huh
IP Logged
floridian

Email

Re: Any Home Remedies? Help...
« Reply #1 on: May 28th, 2004, 2:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I would suggest you consider oxygen - you are breathing it all the time, a little concentrated O2 can really help most people knock out a headache.  Kinda like a megadose of Oxygen.  

Cold air & cold packs help some.  Some people engage in vigorous activity when an attack starts.  Look for the 'circulatory technique' - it may help if you get the hang of it, and it is free of side effects.  

Magnesium, melatonin, and B-vitamins have helped prevent for a lot of people, and there is some research to back up those.  

Beyond that, there are thousands of things people have tried and claim to help.  Some of them may be right, I suspect lots of them just happened to try something when a cycle decided to end.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 29th, 2004, 3:10pm »

Oxygen is effective for many people but it has side effects to attend to if not used properly. Ice packs, cold or hot showers work for some but I believe it's fair to say that these home remedies may cut the edge off of the pain but they don't stop the attack. (With oxygen, may find the pain returns soon after stopped using it.)

Prednisone works quickly to stop a cycle--but your doc should also have started you on a preventive medication so that it has a change to become effective even as you are working through the pred cycle. As soon as you stop the prednisone CH very often comes roaring back and you need the preventive med in your body and working before that happens.

My bias is that the only truely effective methods for treating cluster are prescription meds (magnesium being a exception for a small group of people). Unless you have a specific medical reason for not using them, I'd encourage you to examine your avoidance of drugs. Without some discrimination, such a posture leaves you vulnerable to conditions which can be safety and effectively treated.
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2004, 3:12pm by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #3 on: May 29th, 2004, 3:20pm »

Wayne, try this page.

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/meds.htm

In fact, try the whole ouch site (find the yellow link on the left of this board). There is a lot of \useful infothere.

I would not count too much on the cluster episode being wrapped up within a week, by the way. I shoulkdget to my doc and ask about preventive meds, like Verapamil, a calciumchannel antagonist.

good luck
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
Elaine

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 2nd, 2004, 5:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Things that worked for me !
Cold Shower
Jumping in a COLD pool
Ice
Putting my face in fron of the air condition vent
something about the cold helps.
Feel free to email me any time
IP Logged
garygus
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:46am »

imitrex injections work the best at curtailing an attack  they are also used in migrain treatment but are expensive and insurance compans typically wont issue cluster patients enough .  ask your doc for samples.  they are easy to administer as they come in what looks like a ball point pen.
Gary.  a 30 year cluster pro
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss