Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 6:57pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Episodic to Chronic? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Episodic to Chronic?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Episodic to Chronic?  (Read 493 times)
FruitbatsAngel
New Board Newbie
England 

alicat1907  
Email

Episodic to Chronic?
« on: May 20th, 2004, 2:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have had a few episodes of CHs in the past 9 months or so.

The first time I had a break of 3 months before I had the next attack.  The next time I had a break of 2 months before starting again.  This time it was only a month and now they are back on.  The GP thinks it may be that I am going chronic.

I don't like this idea.  Not at all.

Could it be that I am going chronic?

On a better note, thanks to some info I was sent by OUCH (UK) I discovered that there is a portable 02 cylinder with an integral high flow regulator the NHS will provide, and my local 02 supplier had one in!  Woohoo!

Ali
IP Logged

"We can't call people without wings 'Angels', so instead we call them friends"
Virginia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

v49acosta  

Re: Episodic to Chronic?
« Reply #1 on: May 21st, 2004, 6:50pm »

I was going to try to bite my tongue here but I don't understand why people worry in advance of the possibility of "going chronic".  Why stress yourself out about something that may or may NOT happen in the future?

But in answer to your question, NO...with your 3 month break and your 2 month break....you are not currently "going chronic".

Jonny, what's that definition of chronic again?  Every day for a year with no more than a 2 week break?  Jonny can tell you for sure.
IP Logged

The Clusterhead formerly known as 9erfan.
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: May 21st, 2004, 7:34pm »

That is correct. No more than 14 PF days in a year to be considered chronic.

My 'chronicness' just came out of nowhere. My 'cycle' started and I thought "Here we go again for another 2 months", but that 2 months has been almost 4 years now.

Unsolved
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
FruitbatsAngel
New Board Newbie
England 

alicat1907  
Email

« Reply #3 on: May 22nd, 2004, 2:26am »

It worries me primarily cos I already have about 5 different varieties of chronic pain.  I could really do without  adding more pain every single day of my life.  I have enough as it is.

Secondly its not worrying me as in I am worrying about it a lot.  Yes, it concerns me.  I don't think thats abnormal. I'm certainly not stressing about it.  I can't say I've thought about it more than once since I posted the message to the group.

When I said could I be 'going chronic' what I meant was is it normal for the pf parts to be getting shorter and shorter,  and would that suggest a trend in the direction of chronic (you know, like based on the experiences of other people who have been there).

Have you ever wished you never bothered in the first place?  Hmm, I wish I'd never asked.

Ali
IP Logged

miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 22nd, 2004, 9:51am »

As for CH . . .I can't seem to see a reason/method/anything in what the beast can or chooses to do ..  .some people are blessed, and the beast never knocks .. . some are relentlessy hit . .  .others get lucky, and it's as if the beast forgot how to find them . . .how does it choose who it will do this to?  No idea . . .
One of the best things that someone told me (when I very first started coming here) was:  enjoy every pain free moment you get.  It's important to do that *smiles*

And yep, 14 is the magic number. . .  
*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: May 22nd, 2004, 1:48pm »

on May 22nd, 2004, 9:51am, miapet wrote:

some are relentlessy hit

That's me  Sad
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
FruitbatsAngel
New Board Newbie
England 

alicat1907  
Email

« Reply #6 on: May 23rd, 2004, 3:09pm »

Miapet...

I wish I had pain-free moments to enjoy, but what with the CH and a string of chronic pain problems I don't ever get below a 5 on a 0-10 scale (and thats with narcotic pain killers).  I have less pain moments and more pain moments but its not the same.

Cheers

Ali
IP Logged

miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

Email

« Reply #7 on: May 23rd, 2004, 11:34pm »

Fruitbats,  I'm sorry you're getting hit with so many things.  I don't know what you're taking the narcotics for (another condition?), but for D, they didn't help his CH, and he usually rebounds off stuff like that . . he does off otc stuff too.  
I guess we can re-state that to: enjoy the less pain moments when you get them?
Since I don't know what your other conditions are, I don't have any great advice or words of wisdom, other than, you can do this . . .clusterheads are the strongest people I have ever met.
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
FruitbatsAngel
New Board Newbie
England 

alicat1907  
Email

« Reply #8 on: May 24th, 2004, 5:12am »

Miapet...

I have fibromyalgia, RSD, OA, TMJD and a few other bits.  I'm really a walking ball of chronic pain.  I try to enjoy the less pain moments and work with the more pain moments.

I'm coming off the narcotics which is hard work.  I don't want to rely on them right now!

Take care

Ali
IP Logged

sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #9 on: May 24th, 2004, 5:51am »

Episodic here, but my cycles sure last long... Last one was 7 months!

Best wishes,  
sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

Email

« Reply #10 on: May 24th, 2004, 2:40pm »

Ali,
Sorry to hear it . . .I have TMJ too, so I understand . . hope you have a good fitting appliance, that really helped me!  Fibro too, hmm, I know a great pain guy who specialized in fibro . . he's in Columbus Ohio ..guess that won't help?  He had my friend on an anti-depres. combo and was doing accupuncture . . .she really saw results, it was soo good for her.  She also used massage . . .just some ideas for you.  I was surprised at the OA (and it not being RA) . . . anyway, joint care stuff . . .there's one on the market that hits them pretty good . . my sister takes them ..if you want, I'll get the name from her (she has r/a) . . .I have no idea what RSD is . . .so I have no ideas at all . .

How comfortable are you with your doc and his ch diagnosis?  With everything else you have going on, I would look at that . . .and decide if I needed a second from someone who has lots of experience with ch.

miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
AlienSpaceBabe

Email

« Reply #11 on: May 24th, 2004, 3:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm odd.... [no comments from the peanut gallery, please]

Was episodic for years and years, then chronic (two 2 1/2 year cycles with 6 months inbetween), and now appear to be episodic again....

I'm convinced that, for me, there is no standard.... it hits when it wants and stays away as long as it wants.
IP Logged
FruitbatsAngel
New Board Newbie
England 

alicat1907  
Email

« Reply #12 on: May 25th, 2004, 2:47am »

miapet,  

I am in the UK so docs in the US aren't much use.  I've tried acupuncture which makes me worse.

RSD is Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy.

I think the ch diagnosis is right.  I have most of the right symptoms and stuff.  I'm moving areas soon too so will have new docs and will see what they say.

Ali
IP Logged

miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

Email

« Reply #13 on: May 26th, 2004, 1:11pm »

I hope all goes well for you . . and that your new docs are well versed in your issues.
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #14 on: Jun 3rd, 2004, 2:30pm »

Yeah well this post is rather depressing for me.  As I just posted regarding chronic.  It sound like any breaks we get we need to feel lucky for and I will just say I have been having HA almost everyday sence Feb.  I did have almost a 3 week repreave from it I guess it was more like 18 days.  

Good Luck Man!

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
ozzman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

We who are not as others -- Chaos A.D. --Sepultura

OzzyVal
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Jun 3rd, 2004, 4:48pm »

Sorry to correct you all, and give less hope to some, *but*, the current diagnostic criteria set forth by the International Headache Society, says, that Chronic is > 1 year and remission of < 1 month.

this is from the 2004 edition, page 45, paragraph 3.1.2

Good reference source....

http://216.25.100.131/ihscommon/guidelines/pdfs/ihc_II_main_no_print.pdf

Ozzy

PS. 30 days to go, to be officially chronic (or actually, according to the new criteria, one more day to go...) Oh well, that's life and you roll with the punches...
IP Logged

"Always remember rule ONE" --Lu-Tze
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss