Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 2:24am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « hangovers »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   hangovers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: hangovers  (Read 961 times)
k9n8
New Board Newbie
USA 

finding ways around something becomes a circle

hangovers
« on: May 18th, 2004, 3:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Alcohol is a trigger for me, but not always. Wine is ALWAYS a trigger, but I am talking about hard liquor. Sometimes, when I am feeling good, or when I have been just blasted by CH's, I will go out and drink. Sometimes I get one pretty fast and must come home or hide in my vehicle BUT here is the interesting part. I have NEVER had a CH when I am hung over the next day.....coincidence? I doubt it. Its almost like I can request a day off of CH's and get approved IF I am miserable to begin with, lol. Has anyone else noticed any change in cycle the day after drinking?
BTW, the only thing I drink is Patron (tequila).
IP Logged

"GOOD, BAD, I'M THE GUY WITH THE GUN." -Ash
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

Re: hangovers
« Reply #1 on: May 18th, 2004, 4:08pm »

I can't/won't drink any kind of alcohol while I'm in a cycle. It's a major trigger for me so I can't answer you.  

Jim
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
thomas

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 18th, 2004, 4:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on May 18th, 2004, 4:08pm, JDH wrote:
I can't/won't drink any kind of alcohol while I'm in a cycle. It's a major trigger for me so I can't answer you.  

Jim

Ditto
IP Logged
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 18th, 2004, 6:57pm »

Most episodic ch'ers don't drink.  Quite a few chronics are able to.

I do know of one chronic who can exert some control over his ch's by drinking.
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
Mac_Muz
New Board Old Timer
USA 

new hampster "eat seeds or die"

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 18th, 2004, 6:58pm »

Like the others I have sworn off drinking for the duration.. I feel every day just like I have a hang over anyway.

Not a beer in 5 weeks and counting so far. Bike week Laconia is coming and these had best be gone by then...

I drink a few then with in reason... I hope I don't have to play tea tottler then! Grrrrrr  Mac
IP Logged

When all else fails read the instructions.
Tim_Z
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 19th, 2004, 12:18am »

1/2 a beer and I'd be bangin my head in less than 10 minutes. Impossible for me to get drunk. Since my last cycle I don't have any desire to drink at all, something really changed in me because I used to love drinking. Now it doesn't appeal to me at all. Go figue.

Tim
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #6 on: May 19th, 2004, 9:33am »

I have found that I too can not even look at alcohol when I am in a cycle. No BEER!  No WINE, NO NOTHING.

SO enjoy your hangover  I guess for the rest of us.

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #7 on: May 19th, 2004, 6:37pm »

I have found that I can drink vodka, but I rarely get hit in the morning anyway.  I still cannot answer your question.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: May 19th, 2004, 8:04pm »

I also cannot drink alcohol when I'm in cycle. I hardly drink anyway because alcohol also triggers migraines for me. But when the occasion arises and I do drink, I don't get a hangover. Never have.

purpleydog
IP Logged

ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #9 on: May 20th, 2004, 4:26pm »

I have had the same experience, even in the middle of a cycle, if I go on a binge I won't get all evening, I sleep undisturbed all night and I might be hung over, but I do not get attacks.

Since this amounts to touting for excessive drinking,  it is not really good news, but it is true none the less.
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
genss
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: May 20th, 2004, 4:30pm »

I don't drink now but years ago I drank frequently and alcohol was never a trigger for me.
IP Logged
Killroy 2.0
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kilroy 2.0 is Here! Kilroy 2.0 is Everywhere!

gmlevenhagen  
Email

« Reply #11 on: May 21st, 2004, 5:23pm »

up until this last round of CHs.
Alcohol was always a trigger, could not drink even a half of beer with out getting hit (while in cycle only)

A few time I woul wait till I was about to sleep,drink a beer get hit, then I would be fine and could sleep all night. Not quite the same thing as your asking but close
IP Logged

Do the walls speak to you? Do you follow the Geek Messiah? DO YOU COMPLY?!
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #12 on: May 21st, 2004, 9:10pm »

D hasn't been able to drink in years . . . major trigger for him . . .we're thinking we may be able to have a couple when we are rocking chair material *g*
*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
DonGee
New Board Newbie
USA 

Go Pack Go!

Email

« Reply #13 on: May 24th, 2004, 1:21am »

I remember when I first came here, I thought the drinking was the key so I quit altogether and did 3 months without pain. Then "it" came and I gave up on the whole concept of diet as a preventive. I am going to look into the sugar concept raised elsewhere on this site.
BTW, I was wondering if anybody else feels bad about not coming back and offering support when you're pain-free. I sometimes feel like it's spitting in the face of those who are chronic. But I also feel guilty for not lending support 24/7. Any ideas folks?
IP Logged
Jup
New Board Newbie
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #14 on: May 24th, 2004, 9:36am »

I am chronic from 1999 and found out that sometimes after drinking one glass of wine I get an attack. I kill that one with imitrex and after two or three hours I can drink hard liquor, like whisky, till I am a little bit drunk. The next morning I feel a little hangover and for sure I have no attacks that day. Once in a few weeks, I get by doing this, a few days fun and relief. The other days?? I don't need to describe here (4 to 6 attacks per day)

Jup
IP Logged
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #15 on: May 24th, 2004, 1:01pm »

on May 24th, 2004, 1:21am, DonGee wrote:
BTW, I was wondering if anybody else feels bad about not coming back and offering support when you're pain-free.

I dunno about that. I've been pf since Feb '03 and continue to come here on a regular basis.  

Quote:
I sometimes feel like it's spitting in the face of those who are chronic.

WTF?  Huh

Quote:
But I also feel guilty for not lending support 24/7. Any ideas folks?

Nobody can lend support 24/7...you do what you can do.

Jim
IP Logged

ECH established 1985
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #16 on: May 25th, 2004, 12:05pm »

Any alcohol other than Miller High Life and blush wines will cause my brain to attempt to stomp my eye out.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

Bill_Roundtree
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #17 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 12:50am »

Believe it or not, for some reason if I go 2 or 3 weeks WITHOUT at least a beer or two when I'm pain free I will most certainly suffer the cluster hell....but during a cycle itself I can't touch the stuff!!!
IP Logged

They call this hell head...ACHES?!?
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 3:44am »

Probably shouldn't say either of these things but I am told by a UK Ch'er that you can kill an attack brought on by alcohol by quickly drinking more!  
Also 02 kills hangovers! (promise, try it!)

Wendy
IP Logged
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 3:54am »

Chronic since 2000. Can't touch any liquor unless I'm willing to dance with the beast.

Unsolved
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #20 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 10:44am »

Cant touch Beer any more!!  Every Single time.. BAM!!!

So I have really all but stopped drinking at all. I guess that cant be a bad thing for my body but DAMN does it SUCK!!

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Pegase
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Hit the Road Jack...

« Reply #21 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 1:05pm »

Same... Same... SameWink

Pegase
IP Logged
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #22 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 1:13pm »

on Jun 7th, 2004, 3:44am, pubgirl wrote:
Probably shouldn't say either of these things but I am told by a UK Ch'er that you can kill an attack brought on by alcohol by quickly drinking more!  
Also 02 kills hangovers! (promise, try it!)

Wendy

Wendy,
I agree that o2 will kill a hangover real nice (along w/90% of my h/a's) BUT there's no way in hell I could kill an attack by drinking more. Usually a half a beer will set me off and there's no way I could continue drinking once it starts.

Jim
IP Logged

ECH established 1985
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 4:22pm »

I couldn't either, no way I would drink more when an attack hits personally,  but this CH sufferer (where are you Hamster to post this yourself??) swears that it works, it has to be ice cold alcohol apparently, or it won't work.

W
IP Logged
Hamster
New Board Newbie

KBO

Email

« Reply #24 on: Jun 9th, 2004, 5:14am »

Quote:
I find this subject extremely interesting for many reasons. I am episodic, but fortunately alcohol has never been a trigger for me, in or out of bout. However, as others say, the majority of clusterheads I know cannot go near the stuff.  

Now this might get a bit contentious, and apologies if it has been covered here before, but I have also heard from a few sufferers who claim to have used beer successfully as an abortive. Sounded dubious to me, but recently when the beast started knocking at the door whilst I was on the way to a barbie, on a hot sunny afternoon, foolishly with no medication, it was a question of go back home or experiment.  

So experiment I did. I downed the first pint in a couple of minutes but soon reached Kip 3/4. I then found a quiet room, up to Kip 5, immediately downed another pint, and wham: gone! Pure chance perchance, who knows? I am still not convinced either way, but I have not had the opportunity to re-experiment because that was the final attack of my last bout (which in itself may be important). I shall experiment again, but needless to say, I can wait..

I posted the above here about a year ago and was flamed by the usual suspect(s) Wink.  Posted on the OUCH (UK) message board too but, perhaps unsurprisingly, it went down like a lead balloon.  Needless to say I have had plenty of opportunity for experimentation since then and the results have been remarkably consistent.  Also, I now personally know four other sufferers who can effectively abort attacks with alcohol with limited risk of rebound.

Now I'm not recommending anyone tries this, particularly if alcohol is a trigger for them, but I've bitten Wendy's bait, so people can make up their own minds.  The general consensus amongst those sufferers who have used alcohol to abort is that the alcohol needs to be very, very cold.  Accordingly, two beverages are most commonly used: white wine or lager, but others have also used spirits (I've no personal experience of the latter).  The alcoholic strength doesn't appear to play a major role, although low-alcohol lager doesn't work.  The crucial elements are that a relatively small amount needs to be consumed very quickly, and as I said, it needs to be very cold.

My sample base is at best minute, but even so and as ever, everyone's 'regime' so far appears to be slightly different.  I find personally that knocking back a large glass (about 250-300ml in about 2/3 gulps) of cold white wine is the most effective.  This normally aborts the attack within five minutes, and it seldom comes back before the next one is due.  It also works with lager for me but greater volumes are required (about a pint and a half 5% ABV).

For health and social reasons I still prefer O2 and Imitrex, but have used the alcohol technique successfully on more than a dozen occasions since, particularly when away from my normal medication.  The addictive nature of alcohol, coupled with the well known adverse side-effects, doesn't bode well for future development as a treatment, but if it works, it's a handy little trick to have up your sleeve if and when needs must.

ATBSmiley
Hamster
IP Logged

Yeah, right, I had one of those once.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss