Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 25th, 2024, 11:50pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Head Trauma???? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Head Trauma????
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Head Trauma????  (Read 466 times)
Stibs
New Board Newbie
USA 

Headcramps

StibiHendrix

Head Trauma????
« on: May 4th, 2004, 12:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm 31, and when I was 15, I got into a car accident and smashed my face on the steering wheel. My headaches began the next year at 16 and have been with me yearly ever since for the next 15 years.

Just curious, but has anyone else experienced any sort of head trauma that may have lead to this? I am not certain this was the cause for my clusters, but it sure seems to make a lot of sense. Thanks.
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

Re: Head Trauma????
« Reply #1 on: May 4th, 2004, 7:59am »

Hi Stibs,
My clusterheadaches begun in fall 2002 and nothing that traumatic had ever happened to me. Sure, I have fell down and hit my hed few times but nothing serious. Smiley

Best wishes,
sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

thomas

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 4th, 2004, 8:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

some have, some haven't Undecided
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 4th, 2004, 8:50am »

Medical literature notes that head traumas are sometimes associated with the development of a variety of headache syndromes. But as a cause of most CH? No.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #4 on: May 4th, 2004, 8:59am »

My story is a little similar, but again...I doubt if it is a cause of my CH...  I guess..they really don't know for certain what DOES cause CH, but as someone said to me the other day..if head traumas caused CH..there'd be a lot more athletes and stuff with them!
In March of 2003, I had a figure skating accident where I decided to break my fall with the back of my skull.  It caused a concussion and post traumatic headache for quite some time.  Shortly after that (maybe 3 months or so? don't know exactly..) I started to get the shorter lasting stabbing headaches.  For me, they only lasted 2-20 minutes or so, but they came on many many times a day.  By November, they spread out into a pattern definately resembling CH...at most about 6 hits a day for me, and at the exact same time every day.  
I don't really know what went on there with the development, but I am one who did have a head trauma shortly before getting CH.

Take care,
Lizzie
IP Logged

ExplodingEyeBall
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I can't think of anything clever to put here.

« Reply #5 on: May 4th, 2004, 10:05am »

I had a weird accident when I was 10. I was playing in a water puddle on our sidewalk after a rain storm when a teenager came flying by on a ten speed bicycle.

He ran right in to me. I got torn up pretty bad including a really hard hit to the head which left a nasty bump and cut on the back of my head.

My Aunt informed me recently that I had some problems shortly after that with seizures for a while.

I'm not really sure when the Headaches started since I didn't really start looking into CHs until last year. I do know that I have been having them for a long time.

As far as the CHs having something to do with the head trauma, I don't have any idea. I wouldn't think so since so many people have them who haven't had any kind of head trauma.  
IP Logged

Just poke out my eye and get it over with!!!
floridian

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 4th, 2004, 10:39am »

Head trauma can injure different parts of the brain, including the hypothalamus.  It's effect on clusters hasn't been that well studied, but it seems that as a group, we have suffered more head trauma than the general public.  In general, head trauma is associated with headaches, depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and other mind-brain problems.  Fever, heat stroke and hypothermia might have similar effects.  

(I flew over the handlebars of a bike and slid on my face when I was in first grade - spent a day in the hospital and several days in bed recovering)

Quote:
Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2003 Apr;7(2):144-9.     Epidemiology of cluster headache.

Finkel AG.

Department of Neurology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 3114 Bioinformatics Building, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA. finkela@glial.med.unc.edu

Cluster headache is rare, occurring in less than 1% of the population. Studies suggest that, in addition to the pain and associated autonomic disturbances recognized to be characteristic of the syndrome, patients also may experience nausea, photophobia, behavioral agitation, or restlessness. A decreasing male:female ratio also has been noted, perhaps attributable to lifestyle trends adopted by more women that were previously associated with men, such as tobacco use, alcohol consumption, and working outside of the home. The relationship between cluster headache and hormonal events does not appear to be strong. Hormonal influences on the chronic form of cluster headache in women are a subject of investigation. The emerging understanding of the genetics of cluster headache increasingly suggests a genetic component, with familial transmission now recognized to be more common than previously appreciated. Head trauma, coronary artery disease, and migraine appear to be present in more patients with cluster headache than can be explained by chance alone. Ethnic and racial differences in prevalence are less well understood.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2004, 10:41am by floridian » IP Logged
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #7 on: May 4th, 2004, 1:35pm »

D suffered head trauma as a child.
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
rbmb
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: May 4th, 2004, 4:48pm »

I ran into a post on my bike when I was about 10, breaking my jaw and knocking a tooth up into my gum and I imagine I suffered a concussion (don't remember too much about it). I had headaches (not really CHs) for some years off and on after that and then outgrew them. Didn't start getting CHs till my late 40s.
         Rich
IP Logged
Samantha_Smith
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: May 4th, 2004, 5:25pm »

In January of 2000 I was headed east on Route 100 in Stowe, Vermont.  Conditions were good but I didn't realize there was black ice on the road.  I was driving around a sloping corner and lost control of the car, headed into oncoming traffic, ditched the car head on into a snow bank at 50 mph and flipped it upside down.  I had massive whiplash, seat belt injuries, soft tissue damage and God knows what else. The car was totalled.

In June of 2000 I was (once again) headed east on Route 100 in Stowe and I stopped because  the car ahead of me was making a let hand turn.  Well I was rear-ended at about 35 mph by a compact car because  huge delivery truck had ploughed into them. Basically that accident re-activated all of the old injuries and created a whole set of new ones. WTF!!!

In August of 2000 the cluster headaches came like a bat out of Hell.

Hmmmmmm.....cause/effect relationship? Who knows?!!! But I do know for sure that:

THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS DO NOT GO EAST ON ROUTE 100 IN STOWE, VERMONT.
IP Logged

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm."
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #10 on: May 4th, 2004, 6:18pm »

My nugget is pristine...well, except the damn CH.   Angry
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
aprilbee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ain't I a stinkah!!

« Reply #11 on: May 5th, 2004, 9:53am »

when I was in 5th grade, 11 years old, I decided to shake my head back and forth as hard and as fast as I could, not sure why, but I felt horrible afterward, that same year I was thrown over the front of a horse and landed flat on my face...my CH started when I was 12 years old, and my nose still hurts to this day!!   Tongue

Don't know if one has to do with the other???  Huh
IP Logged
5-string
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Nothing is accomplished without passion

Email

« Reply #12 on: May 5th, 2004, 10:56pm »

Mine seem to have started,pretty much out of the blue. About 6 years ago. I've done some pretty reckless,stupid things in the past,but nothing causing head trauma that I can remember.  
 Only 2 things that could have possibly caused future physical problems for me are; I spent several months in an oxygen tent when I was a baby and was'nt expected to live. And second, I hit a deer on my motorcycle at about 75 mph when I was 23. That kind messed me up for awhile.
 Good luck with your continued research.
..Mark..
IP Logged
Racer1_NC
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Beeeyul the Cat"

Email

« Reply #13 on: May 6th, 2004, 12:55am »

Head injuries? A moderate concussion at 16, recovered and back to normal in a few weeks. Just a few years ago....bad fall snow skiing, slight blow to the head, massive blow to my tail bone. Clusters started about a year or so after that. Connection? Damifino.

And yes, I started wearing a helmet after that fall. Everytime. No exceptions. It's saved my head at least once...idiot lift operator....

My tail bone is still on it's own when it comes to skiing.  Grin

Bill

IP Logged

"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime."

Eventus stultorum magister.
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #14 on: May 9th, 2004, 5:55pm »

I'm on the head trauma list too. My Ch's happened shortly thereafter.  

Sean
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: May 10th, 2004, 5:07pm »

uh, I forget, what was the question again?

Oh Yeah! head injury.
Yes, complete with a CT scan about a year before this all started.  But I also had shingles about the same time and prolonged sleep deprivation, and extreme stress, and a few other of the suspected instigators.  I don't know which to blame.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
thomas

Email

« Reply #16 on: May 10th, 2004, 5:11pm »

on May 10th, 2004, 5:07pm, vig wrote:
.  I don't know which to blame.

I blame the government.  Wink
IP Logged
renny
New Board Junior
USA 

rennny07   renny
Email

« Reply #17 on: May 11th, 2004, 12:10am »

Hi fellow sufferer,   I was also in a car accident at the age of 15,  wrecked my head pretty good on the left-hand side....almost one year to the day later my CH started,  but on the right side,  where it has remained since.   (I was 'dormant' for many years with just small 'hello-I'm still HERE' msgs from time to time...)    For almost three years Drs tried to blame the HAs on the auto -wreck...there was never any proof.    To this day,  who really knows?

I just know I don't want anyone touching my head!!!

I will always wonder about that accident...along with  a horrible concussion,  an 18 stitch head gash,  and some neck problems,   I had some serious jaw misalignment,  which has been a topic here occaissonally as at least possibly contributing to CH.   My personal demon just resurfaced in full force this past January,  which is how I wound up HERE....I am still catching up on a daily basis as to all the information available about this kerap.  

Interesting topic,  at least to me...thanx for posting this.         karen Smiley

IP Logged

tell me...did the wind sweep you off a' your feet...
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss